    Thanks,

    Jack Barrett
    http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

    Jack Barrett, Sep 26, 2003

  2. Jack Barrett

    DaveW Guest

    You can use this to turn it on and off:
    http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

    To block using ZA, add UDP ports 1026 and 1027 to the block list.

    DaveW, Sep 26, 2003

  3. Jack Barrett

    Thor Guest

    Right-click "my computer" click "manage", locate the "services and
    applicaions" section, and expand it. Double click the "services" section.
    Find "messenger" in the right-pane list, and double-click that entry. Set
    it's startup behavior to "disabled". Then click the "stop service" button to
    disable it in this session. Click apply, and you are finished.

    Thor, Sep 26, 2003
  4. Jack Barrett

    Jack Barrett Guest

    Jack Barrett, Sep 26, 2003
  5. Jack Barrett

    Jack Barrett Guest

    What is Messenger used for?
    Will it being disabled affect other programs in XP Pro?

    Thanks Again.
    Jack

    Jack Barrett, Sep 26, 2003
  6. Jack Barrett

    Thor Guest

    Not likely. Messenger is intended for sending pop-up messages to users over
    a local network. The reason you see spam pop-ups from it, is that spammers
    found a way to exploit a vulnerability in messenger to make it accept pop-up
    commands from sources over the internet.

    Thor, Sep 26, 2003
  7. Jack Barrett

    Plato Guest

    http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop5.htm#3