    How do I get rid of it ??????

    Thanks for your time
    Ron and Joyce

    RON, Jan 8, 2005

  2. RON

    Toolman Tim Guest

    |I am using Windows XP home. Some how I have the icon for windows messenger
    | at the bottom of my screen ( I am not sure what you call that part of the
    | desk top ) Any way when I put the pointer over the icon is says( Windows
    | Messenger-Signed In )
    | When I go to control panel/add and remove programs I do not see Windows
    | Messenger listed as a program that I can remove. I do notice a program (
    | WindowsXP Service Pack 2 ) Could that be the one I want to remove to get
    | rid of the Windows Messenger ? I can see no use for windows messenger and
    | my knowledge never use it.
    | How do I get rid of it ??????
    |
    | Thanks for your time
    | Ron and Joyce

    You don't want to mess with the service pack 2 - that's Microsofts security
    updates for Windows XP.

    To disable messenger, go to My Computer, double-click the C: drive, then
    Program Files, then Messenger. In that folder, find the program named
    "msmsgs.exe" and right-click on it - select "rename" from the menu, and
    rename the file to "msmsgs.exe.bak". You don't want to delete it, in case
    someday you change your mind. If that happens, you can rename it again
    without the ".bak" at the end.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 8, 2005

  3. RON

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | ||I am using Windows XP home. Some how I have the icon for windows messenger
    || at the bottom of my screen ( I am not sure what you call that part of the
    || desk top ) Any way when I put the pointer over the icon is says( Windows
    || Messenger-Signed In )
    || When I go to control panel/add and remove programs I do not see Windows
    || Messenger listed as a program that I can remove. I do notice a program (
    || WindowsXP Service Pack 2 ) Could that be the one I want to remove to get
    || rid of the Windows Messenger ? I can see no use for windows messenger and
    || my knowledge never use it.
    || How do I get rid of it ??????
    || Thanks for your time
    || Ron and Joyce
    | You don't want to mess with the service pack 2 - that's Microsofts
    security
    | updates for Windows XP.
    |
    | To disable messenger, go to My Computer, double-click the C: drive, then
    | Program Files, then Messenger. In that folder, find the program named
    | "msmsgs.exe" and right-click on it - select "rename" from the menu, and
    | rename the file to "msmsgs.exe.bak". You don't want to delete it, in case
    | someday you change your mind. If that happens, you can rename it again
    | without the ".bak" at the end.

    (DUH!) I forgot to tell you that you will have to EXIT the messenger first.
    Right-click on it in the tray, select "Exit". Even then it may not shut down
    completely. You can type ctrl-alt-del and bring up the task manager. Click
    on processes, and find msmsgs.exe in the list, highlight it, and click on
    "End task". Then you will be able to rename the file.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 8, 2005
    CHECK BOX,

    ALEXANDER CLARK, Jan 8, 2005
  5.
    ALEXANDER CLARK, Jan 8, 2005
  6. RON

    Toolman Tim Guest

    He has Windows XP. If you read the 'fine print', you'll see that the
    Add/Remove windows components check box for Messenger merely removes it from
    the start menu - it doesn't actually remove the program.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 8, 2005
  7. RON

    Phoenix Guest

    Phoenix, Jan 8, 2005