    They'd have to shrink to molecular size to match film.
    I suppose that's all being done in India now?
    People have been pouring money into that for decades.

    Mxsmanic, Nov 8, 2003

  2. It won't surprise me if they do.
    I don't know where it all went, except for downhill. :)
    Perhaps, but given how much change we brought into other parts of the
    engraving process, a number of people put their faith in our ability
    to deliver. Still, others were rightly reserved about the issue,
    myself include. My reservations didn't help matters much, either.

    David W. Poole, Jr., Nov 8, 2003

  3. Steve Young

    Mxsmanic Guest

    It would surprise me. Active components require more than just one
    molecule to operate. They require lots and lots, in fact.

    Mxsmanic, Nov 9, 2003
  4. For twenty years I've encountered a lot of people who've stated that
    computing had hit it's limits due to such things as the constant speed
    of light and what not. I've learned not to be surprised. :)

    David W. Poole, Jr., Nov 9, 2003
  5. Steve Young

    Mxsmanic Guest

    I've never said that, but I do know that there are indeed limits that
    will eventually be reached. History has shown, however, that sometimes
    limits are irrelevant by the time they are reached.

    In any case, the same physical limits govern both film and electronic
    capture. It's probably safe to say that film will remain able to beat
    digital for resolution quite handily for the foreseeable future, all
    else being equal. It's just a lot easier to produce high-resolution
    film, and you can make film surfaces almost any size you want (even
    life-sized, as Polaroid has done).

    Mxsmanic, Nov 10, 2003
  6. Steve Young

    Ron Hunter Guest

    My nephew makes life-sized photos all the time with his 10D. Oh, he
    photographs insects for his university classes. Grin.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 10, 2003
  7. Steve Young

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Polaroid has a camera that will make life-sized pictures of people.
    Each shot costs around $500 for film, IIRC.

    Mxsmanic, Nov 10, 2003
  8. Steve Young

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I think I can live without that one.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 10, 2003
  9. Good points. But at some point will it become more economically
    feasible (and socially acceptable) for digital imaging (or recording)
    to replace analog equivalents.

    Plus, there is also the issue of functionality and convenience. In the
    industry I was involved in for the last 11 years, we accepted and
    produced either analog or digital for input and output, but the work
    flow was entirely digital. We could do this because we were capable of
    capturing at a much higher resolution than the customer could
    reproduce, anyways. As a result, we could provide our customers with
    screens or cylinders in about a third the time our competitors could.

    David W. Poole, Jr., Nov 10, 2003
  10. Steve Young

    Mxsmanic Guest

    It has long been acceptable for some applications; it will be acceptable
    for more in the future. It is unlikely that it will ever be acceptable
    for all applications--by that time, something else will have come along.

    Mxsmanic, Nov 10, 2003