    editing is available within the application and if so, how I turn on the
    ability to view it?

    TIA

    Oxford Systems, Feb 27, 2008

  2. Oxford Systems

    Gordon Guest

    Umm no - mine doesn't, and I'm on XP SP2, fully patched....

    Gordon, Feb 27, 2008

  3. Oxford Systems

    VanguardLH Guest

    in message

    Outlook Express has never has those 3 view-mode tabs. You will have
    to remember what you actually did use as your e-mail client.

    VanguardLH, Feb 27, 2008

  4. Um...yeah...Outlook Express has had those tabs. Still does. I dual boot XP
    and Vista and have downloaded Windows Live Mail for use with both. Not only
    does Outlook Express have those tabs, so does the stock Windows Mail that
    ships with Vista. Perhaps you don't know how to look for or turn on the
    Edit/Source/Preview tabs but I assure you that they are available in Outlook
    Express.

    Oxford Systems, Feb 27, 2008
  5. Yes, it does.

    Go to View->Source Edit.

    Oxford Systems, Feb 27, 2008
  6. Oxford Systems

    Gordon Guest

    That's NOT what you said -

    quote:previous versions of Windows mail clients (Outlook Express in Win
    9x and XP, Windows Mail in Vista) have three
    tabs available at the *bottom* of the new mail window unquote.

    My emphasis.

    Gordon, Feb 27, 2008

  7. Just to clarify: The Edit/Source/Preview tabs are not visible by default in
    Outlook Express, you have to turn them on. Go to "View" and select "Source
    Edit" and there they are. This has been a feature of Outlook Express as long
    as I can remember.

    Since I'm booted into XP at the moment, I'm not sure whether the source edit
    function is on by default in Windows Mail (the native Vista client) but they
    are also available there. (I use 'em.)

    Oxford Systems, Feb 27, 2008
  8. Well, when you turn them on are they *available* (my emphasis) or aren't
    they? Seems to me that they are. Saying that they are not available (which
    is the short version of your previous reply) would tend to suggest that the
    feature doesn't it exist. Plainly it does.

    Anyway, if you don't know the basics of an old application like Outlook
    Express, it's not likely that you might have some useful insight into a new
    application like Windows Live Mail. But thanks!

    Oxford Systems, Feb 27, 2008
  9. Oxford Systems

    Gordon Guest

    Absolutely. Your original post implied that they were there BY DEFAULT.
    Well they aren't - you have to turn them on.

    And where did I say they were not available? See above....
    I've used OE since v4 and also Windows live Mail - which I don't like.

    Gordon, Feb 27, 2008
  10. Nothing was implied. I said these tabs were available (they are), you said
    they were not.

    One of us was right.

    Oxford Systems, Feb 27, 2008
  11. Oxford Systems

    VanguardLH Guest

    in message
    You also have to double the size of your e-mails to add superfluous
    fluff to them by sending in HTML format. I only send in plain-text
    mode. Once I tried sending in HTML format mode then View -> Source
    Edit became enabled. I also use Outlook, and I always send in
    plain-text from there, too. Wanting to send in HTML format mode when
    not needed is just one step away from using Incredimail to send
    e-mail.

    Windows Live Mail has its own newsgroup:

    microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop

    VanguardLH, Feb 27, 2008
  12. I only use HTML when appropriate. I am not a newbie to all these
    internetwebtubie stuff. :)
    ^^^^^^^

    Right. When "not needed", you are correct. Sometimes HTML is perfectly
    appropriate (not for Usenet of course) and it isn't like we're back in the
    days of dialup only.
    Yep. Question was also posted there separately. Answer so far seems to be
    that MS left source edit out of WLM...which is a bummer.

    Oxford Systems, Feb 27, 2008
  13. My question was about Windows Live Mail Desktop application, not Outlook
    Express.

    In Windows Live Mail, the option to view source when composing/editing HTML
    mail is simply not available. So yeah...I'm saying that not only is the
    View-->Edit Source menu disabled, it's freaking nonexistent (in Windows Live
    Mail desktop application.)

    Oxford Systems, Feb 27, 2008
  14. Oxford Systems

    Plato Guest

    Always wait until version II of any MS OS to use it...

    Plato, Feb 27, 2008
  15. Oxford Systems

    Pennywise Guest

    Thank you!

    I could not find that source edit anywhere, I was in plain text, you
    need to be in HTML to do what Oxford Systems was saying.

    Not that it matters, I only use OE for email from Gmail.com

    Pennywise, Feb 28, 2008

  16. Dunno if it will help in this case. I have several Microsofties now telling
    me that they do not regard the ability to edit HTML source a needed or
    otherwise necessary feature. I call it basic functionality. They call
    it...not basic.

    Oxford Systems, Feb 28, 2008

  17. Right...because plain text is...well...plain text. There is no source to
    render.

    Oxford Systems, Feb 28, 2008
  18. Oxford Systems

    Pennywise Guest

    Ya, but you would at least expect the option to be viewable just not
    selectable.

    Pennywise, Feb 28, 2008