Windows installer service could not be accessed

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Guest, Nov 19, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    When I try to remove programs usings the Windows Installer (Win XP SP2) I get
    the message "Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur
    if you are running Windows in safe mode or if Windows Installer is not
    correctly installed"

    I have attempted all the steps described at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555175.

    Method 1: Unregister Windows Installer, and then reregister Windows
    Installer.
    Method 2: Upgrade to Windows Installer version 2 or newer version. To do
    this, follow these steps:
    2. In the left pane tree menu, click "Setup and System Administration", and
    then click "Setup".

    3. Click "Windows Installer", and then click the appropriate link for your
    operating system.

    4. Click "Download" to download and install Windows Installer version 2 or
    newer version.

    Method 3:Use Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to uninstall the failed
    product.
    Method 4:The Windows Installer service may disabled on the machine.

    I then run "Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB885894)" in a final and
    desperate but this failed too.

    Please help.

    Guest, Nov 19, 2004

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Not sure if this is any help, but I had this problem to when I installed
    a trojan'd version of Norton.

    Guest, Nov 19, 2004

  3. Guest

    Neil Guest

    Might be best to check this out in the microsoft.public.windows.msi or
    the ever popular microsoft.public.windowsxp.general ng. Follow ups set to
    same

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Doug Adams