Windows Firewall

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Sanford Aranoff, Feb 25, 2010.

  1. Win XP Prof, SP3

    Windows Firewall, General tab.

    ON is checked. Others are not.

    Exceptions checked:
    File and Printer
    Skype
    Skype Extras Manager
    UPnP Framework

    I want nothing connected to my computer except my wife's
    portable so that she can print. How can I have an exception
    for Printer but not for File? I do not want someone to be
    able to break into my computer and get at my files.

    Do I need the Skype exceptions checked?

    What is UPnP all about? The only things we have are flash
    drives. They should not be shared.

    I have a scanner attached to a USB port. Can this be run as
    a shared drive? What we do now is take the cable from one
    computer and plug it into another computer. This works.

    Thanks.

    Sanford Aranoff, Feb 25, 2010

  2. Sanford Aranoff

    Lem Guest

    1. You don't need UPnP. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upnp
    Some might consider Steve Gibson a bit paranoid, but see
    http://www.grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm

    2. You don't need Skype Extras. You DO need the exception for Skype
    *if* you want to use Skype. You could always permit the exception
    before you begin a Skype call and then remove the exception after you're
    done. This is a bit cumbersome and you won't be able to receive any
    incoming Skype calls (unless you know they're coming and allow the
    exception).

    3. AFAIK, there is no way to separate "file sharing" from "printer
    sharing" in Windows XP. If you don't create any shares (and perhaps
    also disable administrative shares - see http://tinyurl.com/yktvwsw) you
    should be reasonably secure. Alternatively, purchase a network-ready
    printer or a print server. Either of these will permit the printer to
    connect directly to your router. It can then be accessed by any computer
    on the network, completely independent of any other computer.

    Lem, Feb 25, 2010

  3. Thank you very much.

    Question: Is there any way to permit the exception for Skype
    in code using a Win API function?

    Sanford Aranoff, Feb 25, 2010
  4. Thank you very much.

    Sanford Aranoff, Feb 25, 2010
  5. Sanford Aranoff

    Lem Guest

    Lem, Feb 26, 2010
  6. Hi
    USB Scanners are Not considered Network devices and thus can not be shared.
    However if you buy an AlO Network ready printer/scanner they provide
    software that allows sharing of the printer and scanning through the Network
    from all networked computers, and you do not need to configure any sharing
    on the computer themselves.
    http://www.ezlan.net/prtserver.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Feb 26, 2010