Windows explorer's odd behavior??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by adl6009, Aug 3, 2003.

  1. adl6009

    adl6009 Guest

    -Windows xp home sp1 installed on a dell 2.2 p4-

    When I open windows explorer the icons for the tree from
    Desktop to Search Result all alternate from the icon for a
    folder to the specialized icon for each item and back again.
    (You know, the cd rom goes from a folder to a disk and back to
    a folder.) Task manager shows cpu usage at 100% until I close
    windows explorer.
    The line for windows explorer shows cpu usage fluctuating
    between 20 and 90%.
    Another thing I noticed is the folder Search Results on my
    desktop. I don't remember seeing it there before. I also
    cannot open it, delete it or remove it from the desktop.

    Yesterday I had installed a pop up killer called pow, its an
    active x browser add on, adaware (the latest version 6 I
    think), and the security update from MS Buffer Overrun In
    RPC Interface Could Allow Code Execution (823980)-
    url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

    I have since uninstalled all. Reversed all changes from
    adaware. Restored my system to the restore point before the
    secrurity update and ran a virus check. So far nothing has
    helped.
    It looks like windows can't decide what icons to use and keeps
    refreshing itself and changes them.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated. I was thinking of
    trying a restore point for about 2 weeks ago. I hadn't made
    any changes in that time period that I can recall. I would
    rather find the cause of the behavior and fix it, that way
    maybe I'll know what not to do again.
    Thanks.

    adl6009, Aug 3, 2003

  2. adl6009

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Aug 3, 2003

  3. adl6009

    adl6009 Guest

    I thought you had it. I figured it was a good idea.
    I tried it but it didn't work.

    I gotta admit it though, I am pretty sure this is the first time
    in 2 years I had some kinda problem with windows xp. I remember
    the old days with windows 3.1 and w95 and all the hacking around
    trying to fix things all the time. It was like having my MGB
    again.

    Please help me, I don't want to drive the MG again.

    adl6009, Aug 3, 2003
  4. adl6009

    °Mike° Guest

    Here's some things to try...

    1. Turn down the hardware acceleration for your graphics card by
    a notch or two.

    2. Perform some cleanup maintenance.

    Basic computer maintenance

    3. Install and use:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://security.kolla.de/

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    HijackThis
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    4. Scan your system for viruses/trojans:

    Online Antivirus scanners:
    --------------------------
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ [See **]

    ** Caveat: