Windows Explorer - Recycle Bin conflict

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by James D Andrews, Aug 26, 2011.

  1. Can't find anything on it and I've searched for weeks, so here goes.

    OS is Windows XP SP3 with NET Frameworks 1-4,full updates, Firewall up,
    antivirus protection in place (Avast/Malwarebytes/SuperAnti-Spyware).
    Multiple system scans show it clean.

    Comp is BIOSTAR N61PB M2S mobo/AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7 GHz
    CPU/Phoenix 6.0 BIOS/4Gb RAM/WD 500Gb SATA 2.0 HDD/floppy
    drive/USB&Card Reader/DVD with Light Scribe

    Recycle Bin is causing Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) to crash &
    partially reopen when attempting to Shut Down the computer.
    "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down"

    When Explorer shuts down, it blinks the screen, then reloads, but some
    of the items in the taskbar at the bottom are missing (yet appear to
    still be running according to Task Manager).

    This happens whenever the Recycle Bin has been emptied using any of the
    following methods:

    Open the Recycle Bin explorer window (double-click desktop, select
    Empty Recycle Bin)
    Use alternate software CCleaner, Free Windows Sweeper

    However, it does not happen if the Recycle Bin is emptied from the
    Desktop by right-click the icon, select Empty Recycle Bin. Pretty odd.

    Now, getting by the obvious, "well don't do it that way" answer, I'm
    looking for an actual fix.

    The nearest suggestion I can find as a solution is to turn off DEP for
    explorer.exe

    I don't know if that's a good idea, or if there's a better solution.
    Any ideas?

    Thanks much guys.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes."
    - Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

    James D Andrews, Aug 26, 2011

  2. James D Andrews

    Paul Guest

    You should post your question over in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    as there are still some participants over there.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 26, 2011

  3. Paul embroidered on the monitor :
    Thanks, Paul
    I'll give that a shot

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road,
    and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be
    swept off to.
    -Samwise Gamgee quoting Bilbo Baggins, edited

    James D Andrews, Aug 26, 2011
  4. James D Andrews

    Bville Guest

    Why not try an XP repair and see if that clears it up? Files can become
    corrupted.

    Bville, Aug 26, 2011
  5. Bville embroidered on the monitor :
    Yeah, that's a possibility, but an extreme one. I've got a problem
    with Explorer.exe and the Recycle Bin. You're probably right that a
    file is corrupt. Otherwise, the system is running very well.

    It would take days to back up the 369 installed programs (and dozens
    that run .exe with no install) as well as all the files and personal
    settings before attempting an XP Repair.

    Unfortunately, I do not have a spare hard disk to clone to.

    Then it would take more days reinstalling the software.

    So I'm hoping to find a fix that doesn't involve XP Repair.

    Thanks for the input, though. I really appreciate it.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    troublesome."
    - Isaac Asimov

    James D Andrews, Aug 27, 2011
  6. James D Andrews

    Bville Guest

    A Repair doesn't wipe out your programs. Just back up My Documents.
    That will be the only Folder affected. A CLEAN install will wipe out
    everything.

    Bville, Aug 28, 2011
  7. Bville embroidered on the monitor :
    Thanks to Paul for recommending microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    newsgroup where I found the answer. For anyone else that faces this
    problem later, it turns out there was another "cleaning" program
    interfering with the Recycle Bin. I had installed a couple of these to
    try them out but neglected to remove them afterward.

    I uninstalled both RedButton and Cleanup Assistant, rebooted, and the
    problem is gone, so one or both of these was the troublemaker.

    You are correct about XP Repair, but it's always good practice to
    backup system externally before attempting XP Repair in case something
    goes horribly wrong, like making the wrong selection - yeah, I've done
    that, I admit it (bows head in shame).

    Thank you so much for your valuable input.

    James D Andrews, Aug 29, 2011
  8. James D Andrews

    M-NITRO

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Solution

    Hi james,

    Sorry For My English
    Simple go to cmd and type rd /s c:recycler Than Enter
    And Type y

    M-NITRO, Sep 14, 2013