    EvilDeus Guest

    recently installed vista home ultimate and keep getting windows explorer has
    stopped working and now stuck in a loop any idea

    EvilDeus, Jun 11, 2007

  2. EvilDeus

    Mike R Guest

    What do you mean by "stuck in a loop"? Please elaborate.

    Mike R, Jun 11, 2007

  3. EvilDeus

    EvilDeus Guest

    When windows finishing booting to the desktop an error message appears
    "windows explorer has stopped working" and then tries to repair it self the
    screen flashes a couple times then reboots the desktop (NOT computer) and
    starts the whole cycle over and over again

    EvilDeus, Jun 11, 2007
  4. EvilDeus

    Keme Guest

    EvilDeus skrev:
    Just a hunch: You installed Vista over a previous Windows installation?
    Any Symantec (Norton) security software running? It may see Vista as an
    intrusive software (which some people would agree on...), and block its
    operation.

    Keme, Jun 11, 2007
  5. EvilDeus

    Keme Guest

    Keme skrev:
    Perhaps you need a little help instead of hunches...

    Please note: reinstalling may be less work than fixing a broken install.

    Test (I am not a regular Vista user, so the procedure is from XP. I hope
    MS hasn't changed the tools too much):
    - Start the computer in safe mode. (If that doesn't work either, you
    probably need to reinstall from scratch...)
    - run "msconfig"
    - disable all entries referring to Norton or Symantec, in "services" and
    "startup" tabs. (If you can't find any, select "diagnostic" in the first
    tab.)
    - Reboot to normal mode.

    If Vista starts normally, you can start re-enabling the elements you
    disabled from safe mode, carefully noting which ones you re-enable for
    each boot. When the error reappears, the culprit is probably a module
    you enabled before last reboot or the reboot before. If that's software
    you can uninstall, do that (make sure you re-enable all parts of the
    software before uninstall, then uninstall from safe mode).

    If it's Norton, and you can't uninstall the usual way (it happens...),
    Symantec offers a "norton removal tool". Search their website for that
    phrase, skip the recommended links and select to download the removal
    tool. Read the warnings. Run it! Get some other security software.

    Keme, Jun 11, 2007
  6. EvilDeus

    Dan C Guest

    no idea have you ever heard of capitals or punctuation maybe you should
    wipe that piece of shit vista out and install linux

    Dan C, Jun 12, 2007
  7. EvilDeus

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    That happened to me as well that Explore started crashing on Vista and went
    into this crash loop.

    But you see, what caused the problem is that I installed a piece of software
    on the machine that was not Vista compatible and that caused it.

    Luckily, I had restore points active on the machine. So I was able to boot
    off of the CD/DVD and go back to a Restore point prior to the problem being
    introduced.

    You must have introduced/installed something that has caused the problem.

    Mr. Arnold, Jun 12, 2007