    process that is only present in the Upgrade sku's. There is no need for a
    verification of qualification for upgrade pricing in the full editions so we
    have not seen Vista's version of this process in action.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 22, 2006

  2. Right. You would not need to install XP x64. You would only need to have
    the cd on hand to insert when the upgrade installer asked you to prove that
    you qualified for upgrade pricing.

    The issue when running an Upgrade edition installer from the desktop is
    upgrading the software already on the hard drive. The issue when booting
    the computer with an Upgrade edition disc is upgrading the license. Two
    quite different things.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 22, 2006

  3. paul.veitch

    Guest Guest

    That's my problem. My system came with a preinstalled copy of XP x86 and the
    manfacturer (Averatec) doesn't offer XP install or recovery media so I do not
    have a standard XP CD to insert for verification when I do a clean install of
    Vista 64. It seems to me that one alternative would be for the install
    program to allow keyboard input of the XP license code from the MS license
    sticker that is affixed to the notebook case.

    In view of the fact that MS sells licenses and install media as separate
    products, it doesn't seem equitable that my copy of XP should confer less
    rights than someone else's copy of XP just because they purchased a separate
    additional product that is not available for me to purchase. Making folks
    paying over $100 extra for a full Vista install disk because they don't have
    an inexpensive XP install disk isn't going to sit well with consumers. Maybe
    I'll put a 64 bit Linux distro on instead?

    Guest, Nov 22, 2006
  4. Still not a problem. The Vista x64 installer has to be run from a system
    boot when upgrading from XP x86 but as long as the user can supply an XP cd
    (OEM, retail Upgrade, or retail full) the only issue is the inconvenience of
    having to reinstall the files, settings, and apps that were in use under XP.
    Even with that, Windows Easy Transfer can capture the XP files and settings
    and the WEP Companion can move the apps (but only between two physical
    computers).

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 22, 2006
  5. You saved the $100 when you bought the computer with XP preinstalled. You
    would also save a similar amount if you bought a new computer with Vista
    preinstalled. It is only when you want to install Vista on the same
    computer on which you bought the preinstalled XP that you have to give back
    the $100 savings.

    I long ago gave up relying on OEM copies of Windows. In fact I no longer
    buy retail Upgrade copies either. I only buy full editions.

    I do have a couple of computers with preinstalled Windows, but they are used
    by other family members who aren't in the habit of constantly buying new
    hardware like I am.

    What I typically do when I retire a machine (translation: "give it to the
    relatives") is restore the original OEM software and move my retail copy of
    XP to my new machine. However, that habit is likely to end with Vista
    because of new enforcement of the "one transfer" rule in the EULA.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 22, 2006
  6. paul.veitch

    John Barnes Guest

    I think you missed the change in the Vista EULA when you were taking a
    breather. It has basically the same rules now as the XP version. Check the
    Microsoft website for details

    John Barnes, Nov 22, 2006
  7. paul.veitch

    Jane C Guest

    Jane C, Nov 22, 2006
  8. Good. It will be back eventually, though. All of the casual copying
    loopholes are high priority items at MS.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 22, 2006
  9. Hello Colin,
    Sorry Colin, but no that is not incorrect.
    There is no prompt for media. You are simply told to the setup needs to
    run from with-in the legacy OS
    There is no search for qualifying media, there is no prompt to insert the
    legacy OS cd..
    I have done this.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com>
    <Subject: Re: Windows Easy Transfer 32bit XP to 64 bit Vista
    <Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 09:01:06 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Incorrect. The Upgrade setup will inform the user that a product
    qualifying
    <for upgrade pricing was not found and instruct the user to remove the
    Vista
    <dvd and insert the cd for such a qualifying product. Setup will inspect
    the
    <cd and when it verifys the version of Windows on the cd it will instruct
    the
    <user to replace the Vista dvd and hit Continue. Vista setup will then
    <proceed with the Custom installation.
    <
    <May I remind you that this was exactly how a Windows 95 user had to do it
    <when upgrading a machine with Win95 to XP. Try it in a virtual machine if
    <you doubt it. If you insert the XP Upgrade edition cd with Win95 running
    <you will get the message that upgrade is not an option. If you boot the
    <machine with the XP Upgrade edition cd you will get a message during setup
    <to insert a cd for a previous edition of Windows and setup will then
    <proceed.
    <
    <I never did it, but I beleive that it worked the same way for Win 2000
    users
    <who wanted to install XP Home Upgrade edition (XP Pro Upgrade can be run
    <from the Win 2000 desktop but Home cannot).
    <
    <I suspect all the confusion about this is coming from the fact that none
    of
    <us has yet to see a Vista Upgrade edition dvd image. All we have had to
    <download have been full editions which do not do the verification step.
    <
    <<> Hello Charlie,
    <> Only there is no way to do a compliance check from a DVD boot. You can
    <> only do compliance check from with-in an existing OS.
    <> There isn't an option to insert a cd\dvd of the legacy operating system
    <> meet the check of the legacy OS.
    <> Thanks,
    <> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
    <>
    <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights
    <> --------------------
    <> <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <> <Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 10:56:07 -0800
    <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <
    <> <Incorrect interpretation. XP 32bit should still qualify for upgrade
    <> pricing.
    <> <You just can't start the upgrade from within XP, only from the DVD boot.
    <> And
    <> <it's a fresh install in any case, regardless of the originating OS.
    Vista
    <> <x64 is ALWAYS a fresh install (except from a supported previous build of
    <> the
    <> <beta.)
    <> <
    <> <--
    <> <Charlie.
    <> <http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <> <
    <> <
    <> <<> <> My interpretation of response from Darrell
    <> <>
    <> <> Hello John,
    <> <> You do have to be inside the same platform of the OS to run setup. So
    <> you
    <> <> cannot run 64-bit setup from within a 32-bit OS nor can you run 32-bit
    <> <> setup from within a 64-bit OS
    <> <> Thanks,
    <> <> Darrell Gorter[MSFT
    <> <>
    <> <>
    <> <> <> <>> John Barnes wrote:
    <> <>>
    <> <>>>Not an answer to your question, but be aware you will have to buy the
    <> <>>>full version of the 64-bit product to move to Vista64.
    <> <>>
    <> <>> Why? XP is a qualifying product for Vista Upgrades. Microsoft haven't
    <> <>> published exact SKUs yet, but I've seen nothing to indicate that
    <> there'll
    <> <>> be different qualifying products for 32-bit and 64-bit Vista
    editions.
    <> <>>
    <> <>> --
    <> <>> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    <> <>> ---------------------------------------
    <> <>> MVPs do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.
    <> <>
    <> <>
    <> <
    <> <
    <>
    <
    <
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 22, 2006
  10. Hello Colin,
    I think not only Windows Vista Ultimate will contain both.
    The other versions may have options available for acquiring the x64 media
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com>
    <Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 08:41:02 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <You can count on all boxed editions to include both dvd's.
    <
    <<> Hello Colin,
    <> I stand corrected Colin you are correct. It does appear they will ship
    <> both 32-bit and 64-bit DVDs in the same box at least for Windows
    Ultimate.
    <> Thanks,
    <> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
    <>
    <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights
    <> --------------------
    <> <From: "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com>
    <> <Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 21:58:32 -0700
    <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <
    <> <Everything I have seen suggests that they will ship in the same box.
    The
    <> <product key will be the same for both but only one or the other can be
    <> <installed and activated at any one time (unless the buyer gets a second
    <> <license from Microsoft). It would make too many sku's on dealers'
    <> shelves
    <> <to do it any other way.
    <> <
    message
    <> <<> <> Hello.
    <> <> I have not seen any indication that x86 and x64 will ship in the same
    <> box.
    <> <> I have not seen DVD's or images that contain both x86 and X64.
    <> <> Thanks,
    <> <> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
    <> <>
    <> <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    <> rights
    <> <> --------------------
    <> <> <From: "Bioboffin" <>
    <> <> <References: <>
    <> <> <>
    <> <> <>
    <> <> <Subject: Re: Windows Easy Transfer 32bit XP to 64 bit Vista
    <> <> <Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 16:43:12 -0000
    <> <> <Lines: 32
    <> <> <X-Priority: 3
    <> <> <X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    <> <> <X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869
    <> <> <X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
    <> <> <X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2962
    <> <> <Message-ID: <>
    <> <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <> <NNTP-Posting-Host: spc3-pete5-0-0-cust232.asfd.broadband.ntl.com
    <> <> 81.103.80.233
    <> <> <Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl
    <> <> <Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
    <> microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:42735
    <> <> <X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <> <
    <> <> <Steve Foster [SBS MVP] wrote:
    <> <> <> John Barnes wrote:
    <> <> <>
    <> <> <>> Not an answer to your question, but be aware you will have to buy
    <> <> <>> the full version of the 64-bit product to move to Vista64.
    <> <> <>
    <> <> <> Why? XP is a qualifying product for Vista Upgrades. Microsoft
    <> haven't
    <> <> <> published exact SKUs yet, but I've seen nothing to indicate that
    <> <> <> there'll be different qualifying products for 32-bit and 64-bit
    <> Vista
    <> <> <> editions.
    <> <> <
    <> <> <It was my understanding that both 32 bit and 64 bit OS would be
    <> included
    <> <> in
    <> <> <each purchase (as in the the RCs and Betas), because MS believes that
    <> <> most
    <> <> <people will convert from 32 bit to 64 bit during the life of the OS.
    <> <> <
    <> <> <
    <> <> <ref:
    <> <> <
    <> <> <http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/vista.asp
    <> <> <"Windows Vista FAQ
    <> <> <Q: Is Windows Vista a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system?
    <> <> <
    <> <> <A: Virtually every Windows Vista product edition (with the exception
    <> of
    <> <> <Starter) ships with both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) versions on
    the
    <> <> same
    <> <> <DVD. Microsoft expects the computer buying public to switch to x64
    <> during
    <> <> <Vista's lifetime. There will not be an Itanium version of Windows
    <> Vista."
    <> <> <
    <> <> <--
    <> <> <
    <> <> <John
    <> <> <
    <> <> <
    <> <> <
    <> <>
    <> <
    <> <
    <> <
    <>
    <
    <
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 22, 2006
  11. Hello Colin,
    Where have you see any option to insert a CD\DVD to meet the compliance
    check when you boot from the Windows Vista DVD?
    I never get that option, I simply get told to run setup from within a
    qualifying OS.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com>
    <Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:27:05 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Still not a problem. The Vista x64 installer has to be run from a system
    <boot when upgrading from XP x86 but as long as the user can supply an XP
    cd
    <(OEM, retail Upgrade, or retail full) the only issue is the inconvenience
    of
    <having to reinstall the files, settings, and apps that were in use under
    XP.
    <Even with that, Windows Easy Transfer can capture the XP files and
    settings
    <and the WEP Companion can move the apps (but only between two physical
    <computers).
    <
    <<> Not good news for those hoping to be able to move to Vista64 from XP86,
    <> but I guess it is good news for those moving backwards to Vista86 from
    XP
    <> X64 (however few of those there will be). Thanks for the update based
    on
    <> actual installations.
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <> <>> Not so. I have run both the x86 and x64 setups from the XP Pro x64
    <>> desktop. As long as you are doing a Custom Install to another partition
    <>> or drive all will work fine. XP x86 cannot run the 64bit installer but
    <>> XP x64 can run both the 32bit and 64bit installers.
    <>>
    <>> <>>> My interpretation of response from Darrell
    <>>>
    <>>> Hello John,
    <>>> You do have to be inside the same platform of the OS to run setup. So
    <>>> you
    <>>> cannot run 64-bit setup from within a 32-bit OS nor can you run 32-bit
    <>>> setup from within a 64-bit OS
    <>>> Thanks,
    <>>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT
    <>>>
    <>>>
    <>>> <>>>> John Barnes wrote:
    <>>>>
    <>>>>>Not an answer to your question, but be aware you will have to buy the
    <>>>>>full version of the 64-bit product to move to Vista64.
    <>>>>
    <>>>> Why? XP is a qualifying product for Vista Upgrades. Microsoft haven't
    <>>>> published exact SKUs yet, but I've seen nothing to indicate that
    <>>>> there'll be different qualifying products for 32-bit and 64-bit Vista
    <>>>> editions.
    <>>>>
    <>>>> --
    <>>>> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    <>>>> ---------------------------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 22, 2006
  12. paul.veitch

    Jane C Guest

    Darrell, I am assuming that you have done this with actual upgrade media,
    and not full retail? If so, then that settles it once and for all. No more
    providing qualifying media :(

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)

    Jane C, Nov 22, 2006
  13. paul.veitch

    John Barnes Guest

    Darrell, since most posters to these groups are going to be buying the
    Retail upgrade versions, could confirm that the version that you are
    specifying the requirements for are for these versions and not for some
    esoteric versions. Thank you.

    John Barnes, Nov 22, 2006
  14. Interesting.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 23, 2006
  15. No Upgrade edition images have ever been posted to the MSDN or TechNet
    servers. Everyone in CPP is aware that they have only had the full edition
    of Vista available to them.

    That has been my point throughout this. None of us has ever seen an Upgrade
    sku.

    You won't get a prompt to insert media with the images that have been
    available up to now because they are full editions and do not require any
    verification of ownership of a qualifying copy of a previous edition of
    Windows. You don't get a request for a legacy cd when you install a full
    edition of XP either. You have to be installing from an Upgrade edition by
    booting from the cd to ever see the requestor.

    The Vista upgrade matrix on GetReady states that XP Pro x64 qualifies for
    Upgrade pricing for Vista x64 but specifies that a clean installation of
    Vista x64 is nevertheless required. How do you suggest an XP Pro x64 user
    do that? The Upgrade installer is not going to do a clean installation
    without verifying that the user does indeed qualify for the upgrade pricing.

    Since Setup for Vista x64 cannot run from an x86 desktop the only way to
    take advantage of Vista x64 Upgrade pricing is to boot with the Upgrade dvd.
    So how will the Upgrade installer verify eligibility for upgrade pricing if
    the user wishes to format the hard drive before installing Vista? This has
    always been a widespread practice among users.

    How does an XP user who decides that he should buy a larger hard drive for
    his old machine (as many are planning to do) take advantage of Upgrade
    pricing when he is installing onto a raw drive?

    Are you saying that a user can only take advantage of Vista Upgrade pricing
    if he first has an operable installation of XP?

    If you are trying to check all this out with the images that have been
    available via TechBeta, CPP, and MSDN then you are not using the right
    images. They are not Upgrade editions.

    If the Vista Upgrade installer does not ask for media qualifying the user
    for upgrade pricing in the manner earlier editions of Windows have always
    been able to do then how does it determine he qualifies? Is there some new
    technology for doing this? Surely using an Upgrade edition to install to a
    raw hard drive is allowed as it always has been. But how else does it work
    if not by checking the legacy media?

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 23, 2006
  16. paul.veitch

    John Barnes Guest

    Maybe this will answer some of your questions until Darrell has a chance to
    reply.
    He has stated the install must be done from within the qualifying os

    Hello John,
    I don't think so I haven't tried that scenario, you will not be able to
    remove the underlying OS from the volume(either the boot or the system
    volume), clean install would need to be to another volume. If the boot and
    system partitions were different you may be able to remove the boot
    partition( the one that contains \windows), but you wouldn't be able to
    remove the "system" partition ( the one containing the boot files) since
    the Windows Vista temp files are located on that volume and you can't
    remove the temp files out from under setup.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    John Barnes, Nov 23, 2006
  17. That will not work. It simply won't. MS will not require me to buy a full
    edition if something screws up my hard drive to the point where I have to do
    a clean installation from my Upgrade media to restore the system. Nor will
    they require me to have an image backup either. They must provide a means
    for reinstallation of the OS from Upgrade media regardless of whether or not
    there is an underlying OS because the underlying OS might well be messed up
    to the point where the disk is unreadable and requires formatting.

    Can't you see what a mess it would be if MS started requiring an operating
    legacy Windows installation in order to take advantage of Upgrade editions?
    For starters, how would folks who never make image backups ever be able to
    replace a hard drive?

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 23, 2006
  18. paul.veitch

    Bioboffin Guest

    Thanks - that is what I had assumed would be the case. The confirmation that
    both x86 and x64 will be in the same box, at least for Ultimate is also
    reassuring.

    Bioboffin, Nov 23, 2006
  19. paul.veitch

    John Barnes Guest

    As I pointed out in a Vista post, how difficult this will be when the update
    doesn't work (none of mine did) and a typical consumer has to do a clean
    install.

    John Barnes, Nov 23, 2006
  20. paul.veitch

    Bioboffin Guest

    That's what keeps us guys who know, in business; don't you think?
    Lots of pain, but don't forget the potential gain! After all, MS is a
    commercial company, and has a lot of interest in keeping other commercial
    companies in business!

    --

    John. Feeling a bit cynical today... ;-)

    Bioboffin, Nov 23, 2006