    upgrade pricing because you will not have an XP cd to insert when the
    Upgrade edition installer asks to verify that you own a qualifying copy of
    Windows. Restore cd's or hidden partitions aren't going to help.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 21, 2006

  2. Everything I have seen suggests that they will ship in the same box. The
    product key will be the same for both but only one or the other can be
    installed and activated at any one time (unless the buyer gets a second
    license from Microsoft). It would make too many sku's on dealers' shelves
    to do it any other way.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 21, 2006

  3. He would do it the way it happens with XP Upgrade installer now concerning
    previous editions of Windows. The Vista Upgrade installer would ask him to
    insert his XP cd to verify that he owned an upgradable XP license, check it
    for key system files, and then instruct him to reinsert the Vista dvd in
    order for Setup to continue.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 21, 2006
  4. I don't see anyone in this thread suggesting that "MS owed them a free
    path" to anything.

    I'm simply pointing out that if Microsoft say that XP32/64 is a qualifying
    product for purchasing a Vista32/64 "equivalent or better" edition, and
    are implementing technical blocks that can stop such a process from
    occurring, they've screwed up. Legal trumps technical every time, and MS
    *will* have to make it work, or face lawsuits. Of course, they've also got
    a (small) window of oppoertunity to refine the legal position to remove
    the conflict.

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Nov 21, 2006
  5. According to
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeinfo.mspx, I can
    legally buy an Upgrade licence of Vista64 if I have XP32 on my machine.
    So you have implemented a technical block to a legal process.

    If I can't run Vista64 setup from within XP32, and I can't start a clean
    install by booting the Vista64 media, then I'd be calling Microsoft for
    support on how to install my legal software licence.

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Nov 21, 2006
  6. paul.veitch

    John Barnes Guest

    I would be interested to know what, on the page you have linked, you feel
    indicates that anyone can get an upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit. I
    personally don't see it and I read legal documents for a living. Thanks.

    John Barnes, Nov 21, 2006
  7. paul.veitch

    Bioboffin Guest

    I agree with what you are saying. In addition, it would appear in the light
    of the recent change in the EULA for Vista, that if you wanted to transfer
    your 'upgrade' Vista to your new PC, in Daryll's view you would need to
    first install XP (64 or whatever) so that you could then install Vista. This
    has to be wrong.

    Bioboffin, Nov 21, 2006
  8. paul.veitch

    Guest Guest

    Darrell,

    I don't mean to imply that you are incorrect (in fact I worry that you are
    correct!), but if what you say is true, there's a giant catch-22 here:

    1) All of the available SKU info (skimpy but very explicit in the
    downloadable Widows Vista Product Guide) explains the new SKU strategy of
    32-bit and 64-bit in same SKU.
    For example: "Another goal of the Windows Vista SKU strategy... you no
    longer need to choose between 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Both versions are
    available with every product edition except Starter."

    2) The Upgrade paths in
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeinfo.mspx
    are very clear the about the valid upgrade product paths supported. Given
    the lack of any statement to the contrary, that must include the 64-bit
    variants.

    3)If we are unable to execute the upgrade to 64-bit within a 32-bit product
    and no other mechanism to offer proof of ownership is provided during a clean
    install, there would be no "upgrade product" path from 32-bit to 64-bit.

    From the above it would seem that we would have (in fact I already have)
    purchased an upgrade RIGHT (from 1 and 2 above) that the restrictions in 3
    above are preventing me from exercising.

    This is a serious enough legal problem that I would ask you to re-verify the
    facts with those planning the roll-out of Vista to get us a definitive
    statement on the upgrade path to 64-bit Vista.

    TIA

    Guest, Nov 21, 2006
  9. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeinfo.mspx

    "You can upgrade from your current edition of Microsoft Windows XP or
    Windows 2000 to a corresponding or better edition of Windows Vista by
    purchasing and installing an upgrade copy of Windows Vista."

    I would say that Vista64 Ultimate is a "corresponding or better edition".

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Nov 21, 2006
  10. Hello Colin,
    I stand corrected Colin you are correct. It does appear they will ship
    both 32-bit and 64-bit DVDs in the same box at least for Windows Ultimate.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com>
    <Subject: Re: Windows Easy Transfer 32bit XP to 64 bit Vista
    <Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 21:58:32 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Everything I have seen suggests that they will ship in the same box. The
    <product key will be the same for both but only one or the other can be
    <installed and activated at any one time (unless the buyer gets a second
    <license from Microsoft). It would make too many sku's on dealers' shelves
    <to do it any other way.
    <
    <<> Hello.
    <> I have not seen any indication that x86 and x64 will ship in the same
    box.
    <> I have not seen DVD's or images that contain both x86 and X64.
    <> Thanks,
    <> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
    <>
    <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights
    <> --------------------
    <> <From: "Bioboffin" <>
    <> <Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 16:43:12 -0000
    <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <
    <> <Steve Foster [SBS MVP] wrote:
    <> <> John Barnes wrote:
    <> <>
    <> <>> Not an answer to your question, but be aware you will have to buy
    <> <>> the full version of the 64-bit product to move to Vista64.
    <> <>
    <> <> Why? XP is a qualifying product for Vista Upgrades. Microsoft haven't
    <> <> published exact SKUs yet, but I've seen nothing to indicate that
    <> <> there'll be different qualifying products for 32-bit and 64-bit Vista
    <> <> editions.
    <> <
    <> <It was my understanding that both 32 bit and 64 bit OS would be included
    <> in
    <> <each purchase (as in the the RCs and Betas), because MS believes that
    <> most
    <> <people will convert from 32 bit to 64 bit during the life of the OS.
    <> <
    <> <
    <> <ref:
    <> <
    <> <http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/vista.asp
    <> <"Windows Vista FAQ
    <> <Q: Is Windows Vista a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system?
    <> <
    <> <A: Virtually every Windows Vista product edition (with the exception of
    <> <Starter) ships with both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) versions on the
    <> same
    <> <DVD. Microsoft expects the computer buying public to switch to x64
    during
    <> <Vista's lifetime. There will not be an Itanium version of Windows
    Vista."
    <> <
    <> <--
    <> <
    <> <John
    <> <
    <> <
    <> <
    <>
    <
    <
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 21, 2006
  11. paul.veitch

    John Barnes Guest

    But they say 'a' corresponding or better edition, it does not say 'any'
    corresponding or better edition. That would be interpreted by most courts
    in the US as allowing Microsoft to determine which editions would qualify,
    ie 86 for 86 and 64 for 64.
    All is moot since this is not a contract (expressed or implied)
    Since you and others have a reasonable interpretation, I agree that they
    should be more re-word it to make it totally clear what they mean.

    John Barnes, Nov 21, 2006
  12. Hello,
    I have some questions out on this and am waiting to hear back.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "John Barnes" <>
    <>
    <>
    <#Or4$>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:47:54 -0800
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <But they say 'a' corresponding or better edition, it does not say 'any'
    <corresponding or better edition. That would be interpreted by most courts
    <in the US as allowing Microsoft to determine which editions would qualify,
    <ie 86 for 86 and 64 for 64.
    <All is moot since this is not a contract (expressed or implied)
    <Since you and others have a reasonable interpretation, I agree that they
    <should be more re-word it to make it totally clear what they mean.
    <
    <<> John Barnes wrote:
    <>
    <>>I would be interested to know what, on the page you have linked, you
    feel
    <>>indicates that anyone can get an upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit. I
    <>>personally don't see it and I read legal documents for a living. Thanks.
    <>
    <> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeinfo.mspx
    <>
    <> "You can upgrade from your current edition of Microsoft Windows XP or
    <> Windows 2000 to a corresponding or better edition of Windows Vista by
    <> purchasing and installing an upgrade copy of Windows Vista."
    <>
    <> I would say that Vista64 Ultimate is a "corresponding or better edition".
    <>
    <> --
    <> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    <> ---------------------------------------
    <> MVPs do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.
    <
    <
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 21, 2006
  13. paul.veitch

    John Barnes Guest

    Personally I hope that Microsoft allows upgrades from 32-bit to 64-bit. If
    they are interested in promoting 64-bit processing it would be a big assist.
    If the upgrade versions work as you have stated (only from within an os) it
    would seem too late except to provide a full version to anyone claiming to
    want to move from 32-bit to 64-bit when they upgrade to Vista.
    My comments above were only related to whether Microsoft had a legal
    obligation, and based on my legal training, I don't think so in the US.

    John Barnes, Nov 21, 2006
  14. From my MSDN OS installation experience, even upgrading from XP 64 to Vista
    64 requires a clean-install, putting the XP 64 Pro CD in was qualifying
    media, and the installation continues, as microsoft is not supplying a true
    upgrade to the 64 bit OS's. I have even tested with using XP 32 bit
    Pro/Home/OEM, they all passed as qualifying media for the Vista 64 bit
    install. Maybe the Retail versions will be different, but the MSDN's work
    that way.

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral "Q"
    Not a MVP, MCP, MCSE - Just somebody who wants to help!!!

    Remove the obvious to email:
    Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q**NOSPAM**@hotmail.com

    Star Fleet Admiral \Q\, Nov 22, 2006
  15. You can count on all boxed editions to include both dvd's.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 22, 2006
  16. Not so. I have run both the x86 and x64 setups from the XP Pro x64 desktop.
    As long as you are doing a Custom Install to another partition or drive all
    will work fine. XP x86 cannot run the 64bit installer but XP x64 can run
    both the 32bit and 64bit installers.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 22, 2006
  17. Why not? That's exactly how it works in XP. You do not need to do an
    upgrade to use the Upgrade edition to install Windows. The Upgrade setup
    run by booting the computer with the media will simply ask for a qualifying
    cd to be inserted during setup and will then verify that the cd does indeed
    contain the key system files that are checked to verify ownership of a
    product qualifying for upgrade pricing.

    Upgrading the software in place and using an Upgrade edition to install
    Windows are two very separate issues and both work.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 22, 2006
  18. Both dvd's will be in the same box. You do not have a problem.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 22, 2006
  19. paul.veitch

    John Barnes Guest

    Not good news for those hoping to be able to move to Vista64 from XP86, but
    I guess it is good news for those moving backwards to Vista86 from XP X64
    (however few of those there will be). Thanks for the update based on actual
    installations.

    John Barnes, Nov 22, 2006
  20. Incorrect. The Upgrade setup will inform the user that a product qualifying
    for upgrade pricing was not found and instruct the user to remove the Vista
    dvd and insert the cd for such a qualifying product. Setup will inspect the
    cd and when it verifys the version of Windows on the cd it will instruct the
    user to replace the Vista dvd and hit Continue. Vista setup will then
    proceed with the Custom installation.

    May I remind you that this was exactly how a Windows 95 user had to do it
    when upgrading a machine with Win95 to XP. Try it in a virtual machine if
    you doubt it. If you insert the XP Upgrade edition cd with Win95 running
    you will get the message that upgrade is not an option. If you boot the
    machine with the XP Upgrade edition cd you will get a message during setup
    to insert a cd for a previous edition of Windows and setup will then
    proceed.

    I never did it, but I beleive that it worked the same way for Win 2000 users
    who wanted to install XP Home Upgrade edition (XP Pro Upgrade can be run
    from the Win 2000 desktop but Home cannot).

    I suspect all the confusion about this is coming from the fact that none of
    us has yet to see a Vista Upgrade edition dvd image. All we have had to
    download have been full editions which do not do the verification step.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 22, 2006