    now.
    That should keep things going until something simpler than Windows 8 is
    invented.

    geopelia, Feb 21, 2014

  2. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Thank you. I'll tell him.

    geopelia, Feb 22, 2014

  3. geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    Nor have I. What is a DEP programme?
    So no postings from you nect week then? Story.
    Actually Windows 8.1, is an improved 7, once you get the Once was called
    Metro interface out of ones face.

    Gordon, Feb 23, 2014
  4. geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    Well darn it all, something I have leant to-day ;-). Pity that Ms Windows
    can use her memory in a proper way in the first place.

    Gordon, Feb 23, 2014
  5. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    My computer goes away this afternoon. They say it will be back some time on
    Wednesday with Windows 7
    I don't know yet which version. I expect there is a home edition.

    No doubt I will have plenty of dumb questions for you kind folks afterwards.
    I hope there is an instruction book "Windows 7 for Dummies" or something so
    I can find stuff out for myself.

    I expect there will be a website for it.
    Changing from ME to XP was no problem though.

    See you later!

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Feb 23, 2014
  6. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    Maybe much later - there's no Outlook Express for Windows 7. So you'll
    need to find yourself a new newsreader (or god forbid, use Google
    Groups).

    Dave Doe, Feb 23, 2014
  7. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    Can I suggest Microplanet Gravity to you...
    http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/

    (much better, IMO, than Forte FreeAgent) :)

    Dave Doe, Feb 23, 2014
  8. My computer goes away this afternoon. They say it will be back some time on
    Wednesday with Windows 7
    I don't know yet which version. I expect there is a home edition.

    No doubt I will have plenty of dumb questions for you kind folks afterwards.
    I hope there is an instruction book "Windows 7 for Dummies" or something so
    I can find stuff out for myself.

    I expect there will be a website for it.
    Changing from ME to XP was no problem though.[/QUOTE]

    I (a few weeks ago) found 7 a little faster than XP, but largely aggravating.
    I hope your experiences are better ... a lot better. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 24, 2014
  9. I like news express 2.0 which continues to work under win7.

    As someone said earlier, please don't use google groups. For a start, many
    readers out here have their filters set to ignore everything that comes from
    there (and for good reason). :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 24, 2014
  10. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    a. do you know who you're replying to? (to whom are you addressing your
    reply, re Google Groups)
    b. what's the good reason? :)

    Dave Doe, Feb 24, 2014
  11. a) yep
    b) There are many good reasons. Being auto filtered out is one. Believing that
    groups is usenet is another. Google. Much spam and stupidity comes from groups
    (yes, a higher % :) ). The interface is truly awful. The interface sucks.
    Filtering is almost non existant (or it was). The interface is nasty.

    There are just a few. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 25, 2014
  12. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Enkidu, Feb 25, 2014
  13. Did you mention the horrible interface?[/QUOTE]

    Ah ... no ... I forgot that ... thanks for the reminder.
    The interface is *really* double plus A1 ungood people !!.

    :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 25, 2014
  14. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" wrote in message
    (snip)
    I (a few weeks ago) found 7 a little faster than XP, but largely
    aggravating.
    I hope your experiences are better ... a lot better. :) :)

    The computer is back with Windows 7 installed. I'm trying out everything and
    starting to get used to it.
    Everything seems to be there, but not exactly where I expected it.
    The computer man can get into the works by remote control if I need him to.
    Windows 7 should keep going as long as I will!

    geopelia, Feb 26, 2014
  15. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" wrote in message

    a. do you know who you're replying to? (to whom are you addressing your
    reply, re Google Groups)
    b. what's the good reason? :)
    The newsgroups are there in Windows 7. The computer man was here for a while
    showing me where things are.
    They are down on the email page, at the bottom left. There is a row of icons
    and the newsgroups are the one on the right, looks like an envelope with a
    stamp. They are not as easy to read as they are in XP though. I am replying
    from there.
    I've got eternal-september and aioe.
    geopelia

    geopelia, Feb 26, 2014
  16. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "geoff" wrote in message

    Get him to install ClassicShell www.classicshell.net , then you can
    configure (or he can) the Start Menu look and behaviour of your choice.

    I go for 'Classic Windows".

    geoff

    Thank you. I might do that later, just now I'm using it as it came, to get
    used to it.

    geopelia, Feb 28, 2014

  17. What in the Hell made you go to Win 7, as XP will sill be running in 10
    years time..

    For get the Crap bullshit the MS puts out, add on Virus program will be
    supporting it for some years yet..

    The UK NHS is locked into XP and it does not seem that they will be
    upgrading for some time..

    And yes WIN 7 is going to be very frustrating for you in a big big
    way...

    All this talk about DEP, simple its not needed just turn it OFF..

    Frank Williams, Feb 28, 2014
  18. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Frank Williams" wrote in message

    What in the Hell made you go to Win 7, as XP will sill be running in 10
    years time..

    For get the Crap bullshit the MS puts out, add on Virus program will be
    supporting it for some years yet..

    The UK NHS is locked into XP and it does not seem that they will be
    upgrading for some time..

    And yes WIN 7 is going to be very frustrating for you in a big big
    way...

    All this talk about DEP, simple its not needed just turn it OFF..

    XP will not be getting any more updates soon.
    And with the state of the UK NHS I'm surprised they have even heard of XP.

    geopelia, Mar 1, 2014
  19. geopelia

    Bret Guest

    Are you still using Win 98 Roger?