Windows Defender whitelisting certain spyware ?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Steve H., Mar 11, 2007.

  1. Steve H.

    Moe Trin Guest

    On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
    <C7cKh.12979$>, Ron Lopshire wrote:

    >Moe Trin wrote:

    >> Hey - they put the information in the privacy statements. Is it _their_
    >> fault that no one reads the statements? I _was_ going to clean the
    >> heads on my VCR by sticking into the washing machine until I found the
    >> warning in the user guide not to get it wet. I guess that means I've got
    >> to send it out to the dry cleaners. Sure glad I read that user guide
    >> from cover to cover.

    >LOL. Thanks for your thoughts, Moe.

    Gotta put things into perspective

    >These guys evidently read the EULA and decided to pass, at least until
    >they understand it. [bg]
    >
    >U.S. Government Agencies Banning Microsoft Vista

    You'd think that the government would have learned by now. But every PHB
    knows that you should be using windoze for two reasons - first "it's what
    I use" (that must be important), and second, it gives you someone to sue
    when the excrement hits the air handlers.

    >One of my favorite disclaimers is for Mold & Mildew Cleaners:
    >
    > "Use only in well-ventilated areas ..."
    >
    >If it were well-ventilated, there would not be any mold and mildew in
    >the first frickin' place.

    I can sorta understand that one - the cleaner is usually toxic in some
    concentrations (from parts per gazillion up to "neat") over some amount
    of time (seconds to centuries). But most of the warnings are totally a
    "cover your ass" type of thing, so that when some idiot kills/injures
    themselves doing something totally stupid, the defense lawyers can point
    to the written warning and say "we told you not to do that".

    A problem is that the current situation is like crying "Wolf". A lot of
    the warnings seem to be boiler plate. Thus, I'm warned not to use a
    battery operated remote control if the electrical cord set is frayed.
    Huh? This usually causes people to not bother reading the "Important
    Facts" - though they really should do so, for entertainment reasons. Just
    think why they had to include each warning - what some Darwin candidate
    must have done to get the warning not to put this appliance in the bath
    tub. The mind boggles.

    Old guy

    Moe Trin, Mar 15, 2007