Windows Connect Now - still useful!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Dec 10, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi all!

    If you use a router that doesn't implement Windows Connect Now, you can
    still use Windows Connect Now to establish and maintain your wireless-network
    segment.

    When you set up, "define" your network by going through the Windows Smart
    Network Wizard that you use for Windows Connect Now, preferring to select
    "Automatically assign a network key" so the computer makes a new network key.
    At this point, set up an easy-to-remember SSID for your wireless network
    "cloud". Select "Set up a network manually" whereupon you end up on the last
    page of the Wizard where you have an opportunity to print out the network
    details. Here, print off these details then connect your router to your PC
    via an Ethernet cable.

    Log in to the router using its out-of-box defaults and set up the
    access-point details according to what is on the page that you printed off.
    Then go to the Admin page on your router's Web page and change the password
    to something other than the default password.

    To add a WiFi-enabled computer running XP Service Pack 2 or later or a
    Windows Connect Now device, run the Windows Smart Network Wizard and select
    "Add new computers or devices to the <network ESSID> network" with the
    <network ESSID> being replaced by the SSID of your wireless network "cloud".
    Select the USB memory key option and use a USB memory key or other removeable
    storage medium (flash memory card, etc) that the new computer supports to
    transfer the settings to the new computer. If the medium doesn't support
    AutoRun, open the Windows-Run dialog box and type
    "<removeable-drive-letter>:smrtnky\setupsnk" in this dialog box. Then click
    "Run". Here, it will register the details associated with this network
    "cloud". Close any "setupsnk" dialog boxes, then remove the medium from the
    computer and insert it in your machine and complete the Windows Connect Now
    wizard.

    In the procedure described above, you have enrolled your Windows Connect
    Now-capable device or computer in to your home network in a highly-accurate
    manner.
    This is because you have avoided transcription errors involved with setting
    up your device via any configuration interfaces associated with the computer
    or device.

    With regards,

    Simon Mackay

    Guest, Dec 10, 2005

  2. Guest

    the_3rd

    Joined:
    May 10, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Windows Connect Now, or with the setupsnk.exe and WSETTING.wfc files

    Hey,

    If any of you are familiar with Windows Connect Now, or with the setupsnk.exe and WSETTING.wfc files, this is for you.

    I have multiple wireless networks I am installing via scripting on laptops. If you copy the files using WCN, you can store them on a flash drive and install them quickly on multiple devices. I have 2 issues though:

    1) I cannot yet seem to be able to set the Key Index (not WEP key, that is done) from inside the WSETING.wfc file
    2) I cannot yet install more than 1 wireless network per .wfc file.

    I have posted the .wfc file below:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <wirelessProfile xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/provisioning/WirelessProfile/2004">
    <config>
    <configId>00160246-0C7D-4AC4-B0F1-A9F8FD0CD23C</configId>
    <configAuthorId>0B4E59B8-8317-46B2-B8C2-C46850162E6C</configAuthorId>
    <configAuthor>Microsoft Wireless Network Setup Wizard</configAuthor>
    </config>
    <ssid xml:space="preserve">DT</ssid>
    <connectionType>ESS</connectionType>
    <primaryProfile>
    <authentication>open</authentication>
    <encryption>WEP</encryption>
    <networkKey xml:space="preserve">22222222222222222222222222</networkKey>
    <keyProvidedAutomatically>0</keyProvidedAutomatically>
    <ieee802Dot1xEnabled>0</ieee802Dot1xEnabled>
    </primaryProfile>
    </wirelessProfile>

    If anyone could be of assistance, I greatly appreciate it.

    Cheers!
    ~Christopher

    the_3rd, May 11, 2006