Windows CD vs Recovery disc; which is better to use after a delete/restore partition & reformat?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Virginia., Feb 26, 2005.

  1. Virginia.

    Virginia. Guest

    Hi all, I've been toying with the idea to buy a new computer, I was casually
    asking the sales representative about whether the computers still come with
    the OS disc, he said they don't but that they come with a recovery disc, I
    asked him whether this disc would restore the operating system after I'd had
    to do a reformat, he said all I had to do to recover the system to a working
    state is to use system restore. I tried to explain that once I'd reformatted
    the hard drive the operating system was removed so asked again about what
    the recovery disc did, he still insisted that I didn't need it after a
    reformat! I dug further & asked about using the recovery disc after having
    to delete, then restore a partition *then* reformat - his answer was the
    same - use system recovery, by that point I gave up. Surely system recovery
    only works when Win XP is already installed?
    Would the recovery disc re-install Win XP if I ever needed to?

    Advice please.

    Virginia.

    Virginia., Feb 26, 2005

  2. Virginia.

    philo Guest

    the recovery discs that typically come with new computers
    generally format the drive then use an "image" file to restore your
    machine's OS
    to it's original state.
    that process of "system recovery"
    is of course different from windows own "system recovery" which merely rolls
    back
    a windows installation to a previous state

    philo, Feb 26, 2005

  3. Virginia.

    jda^fx Guest

    The recovery disk sets Windows all the way back to the factory
    settings, with the drivers plus some additional software it came with.
    Typically Adobe Reader and some trial version of an AV program and all
    driver for motherboard graphicscard etc. and it goes faster than an
    installation of Windows to.And it formats the partition you install
    on, so if you only have one partition everything is gone after that.
    But you have to be ware, that you only get what could be called a
    Windows LE. If you want to install additional Windows features it will
    ask for a Windows CD. But you don't have one so you can't do that. If
    you uninstall some of the standard Windows features and want them back
    it will ask for a Windows CD but you don't have one, so your only
    choise to get them back is to make a complete reinstall and start
    over. On the other hand you don't have to mess about with 5-10 extra
    driver CD's one for every component in the computer, you are up and
    running with the restore CD and that's it

    jda^fx, Feb 26, 2005
  4. Virginia.

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    before reformating/repartitioning, please note that HP and Compaq store
    their recovery disk within the HDD partition (users need to burn the
    recovery CD from the HDD).

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Feb 26, 2005