Windows can see mapped drives, but applications can't?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Nov 17, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    This is an odd problem.

    I have a peer-to-peer network, with one machine running XP Pro doing nothing
    but file distribution, and six machines running XP Home that have mapped
    drives to folders on the XP Pro machine. The three machines that connect
    directly to my Netgear router using 100-Base T work fine. The four that
    connect via Wi-Fi all have the following problem.

    After startup, if I launch any application and try to access the mapped
    drives, it won't work. It can see them in the list of drives to select in the
    Open window, but if I try to select them it goes back to the C: drive.
    However, if I open up My Computer, open the mapped drive, close the drive
    window, and then launch the application, it can access the mapped drives just
    fine for the rest of the day. Once the machine is shut down and restarted,
    the problem comes back.

    I presume there's some setting for mapped drives that is unique to wireless
    connections to get them to fully load on startup, but I don't know where it
    might be. Can anyone help?

    Guest, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Guest

    Pavel A. Guest

    No, wireless connection has nothing unique here... might be some anomaly of XP Home.
    Can you test this with a XP pro client machine?

    --PA

    Pavel A., Nov 18, 2004

  3. Daniel,

    I would first like to confirm what you have said are the symptoms. You say
    that if you open the Explorer you _can_ see the files in the mapped drives,
    but you must do this before opening these files from inside the application,
    correct? The part I do not understand is where you say that you select the
    mapped driver and it goes back to the C: drive. I am not sure I understand
    what is exactly happening here. Can you see the rest of the network before
    opening these drives in Explorer? Is your wireless network connected
    already and can you, for example, browse www.microsoft.com without any
    problems?

    I am guessing that this application is somewhat older, perhaps a legacy
    application. Is is a 16-bit or 32-bit application, recent or older?
    When you mapped the drives, did you set them to reconnect at login?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/.../productdoc/en/windows_fcab_connect_drive.asp

    My first idea is the following: Directly enter the full file name of the
    file you want to open instead of navegating there through the Open File
    dialog window. Let's say you have a F: drive, and you want to open the file
    F:\documents\mydoc.doc - instead of navegating to F:, then documents, enter
    the full path directly into the file name portion of the dialog. I am
    interested in what happens in this case, please tell me how that goes.

    The other case I am interested in checking is directly accessing these
    drives w/o using Explorer. Can you initially open a CMD.EXE window and do a
    dir of
    F:\, following the above example? Does that cause the problem to later not
    happen with the application?

    I am not sure why these machines using wireless would behave differently.
    There are no settings related to this at all that I know of. Please let me
    know the results of the above scenarios.

    Brian Wehrle [MSFT], Nov 18, 2004
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have a similar situation with my wireless network.

    Using the wireless laptop, I can browse the internet, receive e-mail. But
    if I try to open an Office document from the other PC from the office
    application, I can't. If I go out to 'My Computer', I have to open the drive
    first. Then I can open the file from within the Office application.

    When I open the drive within 'My Computer', it does require me to sign on to
    the other machine (2000) with account and password.

    Guest, Nov 18, 2004