    Nik Coughin Guest

    Apple will increase their market share substantially, especially with
    products like Mac Mini.

    Nik Coughin, Feb 8, 2005

  2. I see it as a step in, but not as a replacement of existing desktops...
    more of an interest product than a usable(I hope you know what I mean).

    so yeah, an increase, but I don't see it gaining that much.

    make a g5 mini for $1500 and Im there.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 8, 2005

  3. thing

    froggy Guest

    it is interesting to see Suns attempt to regain its customer base it feels
    it has lost to Linux, my guess is they think its the open source nature of
    linux that is the edge they are looking for...
    their big push at being interoperable with linux is also noteworthy
    as to final outcome... way too early to call.. they do have an installed
    base that is loyal.. they do have a reputation ( they're not called
    slowaris for nothing).. they do have pots of money to throw about

    I have it here.. I had issues with installation.. it found itself being
    used as mini frisbies ( ps dont try this at home flying cds are dangerous
    ;-)
    but I would like to see it up close and personal like.. purely to make up
    my own mind on its merits / issues

    froggy, Feb 8, 2005
  4. thing

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Sure, I know what you mean about it being more of an interest product. I
    think it's the beginning of a new marketing paradigm for Apple though, one
    that really gained momentum with iPod, and I think that if they play it
    properly they could pick up a (comparatively) good share of the home market.

    Nik Coughin, Feb 8, 2005
  5. thing

    thing Guest

    You can set Solaris x86 to dual boot with Linux x86.

    I once had Debian, Windows NT4, Novel 5 and Solaris 7 x86 on the same
    box...was a bit of a fiddle but worked well. Solaris x86 was also very
    picky on hardware. This is something Sun is going to have a problem
    with, unless OSS developers jump onto the Solaris band wagon, Sun are
    going to have to do drivers themselves and there is a lot of hardware
    about and its coming out all the time.

    Then there are the serious apps like oracle, not ported to solaris x86 I
    believe. No mileage in Oracle doing so unless Sun pays them...this
    applies to the OSS stuff as well. Then add in Sun's pathetic attempt at
    open sourcing Solaris, and its so called Patent gift. Reality, check,
    you can only use Sun's patents on Solaris, not on other OSS projects,
    one has to ask why bother.....

    If you want Solaris, seriously, I suggest a look on trademe under
    servers for an Ultra Sparc 2, aim for at least 1 x 300 CPU and at least
    256M of Ram (will go 2 x 400 CPUs and to 4 gig Ram) It will hold 2 x
    scsi disks, 9s are common, 4s minimal. For a base single cpu machine
    with 256M you shold pay about $2~300 and they run well. Do not buy
    anything older, or bother with an ultra5~10. They more expensive and
    they are crap, the U2 will run rings around them.

    Debian Sparc is a option as well.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Feb 9, 2005
  6. thing

    thing Guest

    I do not see it, becides which I am talking server share and not desktop.

    The corporate desktop and home desktop feed on themselves, unless Apple
    can get a share of the corporate I do not see it being any more than the
    4% player it is now. I could be generous and say a huge jump to 6%, that
    is not significant.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Feb 9, 2005
  7. thing

    Steve Guest

    Just to add a little bit of factual stuff...

    If you're looking to play with Solaris 10 on any machine - sparc this
    is, then you need a machine that is newer than an Ultra 1 - that's u2 or
    greater.

    Otherwise you're stuck at sol 9. Sun are ploughing a huge marketing
    budget, and are attempting to take on linux. I'm not sure why, because
    sol 10 is still a toy - not properly supported by Sun even.

    For a living, I'm managing a brand new oss project, and am doing my best
    to get it to compile on as many differnt platforms as possible. These
    include Debian, RedHat ( RHEL and FC3 ), Mandrake, SuSE ( SLES 9 RC's as
    well ), and I'm trying to add Gentoo as well if I can get it to play
    under vmware ): Solaris 8 and 9 are on the list as well. But 10 on
    sparc... forget it!

    Also beware those who sell well specced sun servers on TradeMe that
    never arrive. I was bitten. Glad it wass properly insured - even if it
    did take 4 months to get sorted.

    Steve

    Steve, Feb 9, 2005
  8. thing

    Guest Guest

    No. as in "Vada what's trolling down the tober - it's polariing with naff
    omees!"

    Divine

    Guest, Feb 9, 2005
  9. thing

    Adder Guest

    07 Feb 2005 22:07:00 GMT, Bruce Sinclair
    betacam and betadigital are still in production
    the issue was sony did not crosslicense beta as much as Jvc did - in fact
    hardly at all

    Adder, Feb 9, 2005
  10. it would be to apple, thats a 50% jump in their share :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 9, 2005
  11. thing

    AD. Guest

    I don't think Solaris x86 is going to go anywhere until Sun starts
    shipping large Opteron servers with (nearly) all the bells and whistles
    that the large Sparc ones have - ie stuff that no one is building yet.
    Solaris is good for scalability and fault tolerance etc, and until their
    x86 hardware supports those features there is no real use for Solaris x86.

    That's a big if though, and requires both Sun customers and partner (eg
    Oracle) to get behind this new hardware. I suppose it depends on what Sun
    really thinks about the future of Sparc.

    AD., Feb 9, 2005