Windows bigots....seems the kettle is calling the pot black

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thing, Feb 6, 2005.

  1. thing

    thing Guest

    thing, Feb 6, 2005

  2. thing

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Feb 7, 2005

  3. It doesn't wrap in IE, either. I tried, just to see if they were doing
    something nasty for other clients.
    It seems that, no, they're just incompetent.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Feb 7, 2005
  4. Oh god! The article was written by Paul Thurrott. He describes himself
    as a journalist, but others describe him as a "self-congratulatory
    windbag Microsoft-apologist".

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Feb 7, 2005
  5. thing

    Guest Guest

    Do you know what "NAFF" originally meant?

    Divine

    --
    "Linux and MySQL are going to keep chipping away at Micro$ofts' install base
    and it is terrified. Why else would they keep spouting on about how awful

    Guest, Feb 7, 2005
  6. thing

    AD. Guest

    Wasn't that a open over proprietary success rather than marketing over
    technical one?

    After all, Sony is usually fairly good at marketing.

    AD., Feb 7, 2005
  7. the ermm, amature adult film industry also had a lot to do with the
    rise(pun intended) of VHS, recording equipment and media were
    significantly cheaper.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 7, 2005
  8. thing

    Axel Guest

    There was more VHS in the rental stores, which is what people were
    buying vcrs for.
    VHS had enough recording time for a feature film and Beta didn't.
    Next Sony cockup was that VHS machines were more readily available to
    the rental market, by the time Sony made them easier to rent VHS had 70%
    of the market.
    Sony decided they were selling a superior product for a high price,
    which was a strategy that worked in hifi. They thought people would
    prefer a high quality recorder, but in reality the people wanted a
    diversity of pre recorded content.
    It didn't work for an exploding market in rentals and porn.
    Sony Betacam was a different pro recording format using the same
    mechanism and cassette housing.

    Axel, Feb 7, 2005
  9. thing

    AD. Guest

    Yep because manufacturers could make VHS stuff cheaper than Beta because
    they didn't have to license it from Sony and pay royalties. And once they
    started making more of one than the other economies of scale kick in and
    Beta doesn't really stand a chance.

    You can see shades of it today with Sony Memory Sticks vs generic flash
    ram.

    I'm sure that if VHS was proprietary and Beta open, then the result
    would've been reversed and the technically superior one would've won out
    after all.

    OEMs generally don't like being beholden to another companys whims and
    prefer dealing in open technologies.

    I think these debates around technical vs marketing superiority miss the
    fact that it's usually economics or other business factors that decide.
    After all there have been plenty of well marketed failures too.

    AD., Feb 7, 2005
  10. thing

    Axel Guest

    The gillette principle in action.
    The rental cassettes were the product, the player was just the handle.
    JVC got more cassettes out there.

    Axel, Feb 7, 2005
  11. thing

    Axel Guest

    Most porn was recorded and edited on Sony Professional Betacam or 3/4"
    U-matic cassettes then duped and distributed on VHS.
    You could rent enough VHS machines from Radio Rentals to run a
    duplicating system.
    Most VHS machines never recorded anything except from the tuner.

    Axel, Feb 7, 2005
  12. IIRC, Beta was technically better, but there was a lot more VHS on the
    market quicker. Not sure if there was a price differenc or not.
    Effective result was the same - lots of VHS sold, pretty much killing off
    the beta market.
    Again IIRC, "professional" still used beta for quite a while. They may still
    do (along with umax or some such other system ?).

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 7, 2005
  13. thing

    Axel Guest

    Given two competing formats, the one which distributes the most pr0n is
    the most likely to succeed.
    VHS vs Beta
    Apache vs IIS
    Sex sells :)

    Axel, Feb 7, 2005
  14. thing

    Axel Guest

    VHS includes technology licensed from Sony IIRC

    Axel, Feb 7, 2005
  15. ... so price was a factor then ? :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 7, 2005
  16. Good points all. I will note however, that if the technology is
    "sufficiently" useful, then companies do pay. They may not like it, but they
    will do it. Obvious example ... "PCR" (polymerase chain reaction - for
    DNA/RNA amplification). Everyone uses it :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 7, 2005
  17. thing

    thing Guest

    froggy wrote:

    8><---
    heh, Solaris x86 is going no where. what are they trying to do, justify
    their existance as a better product than Linux? it is not IMHO.

    I have used Solaris on Sparc and x86 (on and off since R7) for the last
    4 years, certainly the x86 version holds nothing to Linux or any of the
    BSDs.

    I cannot think of one reason to run it off hand.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Feb 8, 2005
  18. thing

    thing Guest

    As in armed forces store?

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Feb 8, 2005
  19. thing

    thing Guest

    "Linux and MySQL are going to keep chipping away at Micro$ofts' install base
    and it is terrified.

    Add in Oracle, SAP, DB2 etc etc. All ex-high margin products that will
    get their installed base chopped from under them. MS-SQL no longer
    enjoys the "cheap" price tag run on intel hardware....

    Why else would they keep spouting on about how awful
    Linux is? If it was no threat they would just ignore and move on. I
    think the
    same goes for a huge number of windows admins, they see a steep learning
    curve
    for a whole new skill set on the horizon and are struggling to avoid it.

    As with anyone else who has spent years and many $ establishing a
    career, the last thing they want to see (with so many of them about) is
    MS's market share stagnate, hence their own salaries. One wonders just
    how many so called "IT Pros" are just this self serving.

    Linux and open source are the future, get used to it."

    I do not think MS will disappear, in fact I am planning this year to
    expand my MS knowledge significantly. The battle will be for the % of
    the market MS can retain, its for Linux to win it and MS to lose it, ad
    losing it they are.

    Be interesting to see the % split come 2008.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Feb 8, 2005
  20. thing

    Axel Guest

    Don't bother
    This is where David drags out his encylopedic knowledge of polari, the
    language of 1960s mincing soho public toilet lurking homos that he got
    from old episodes of Round the Horne on his wireless.

    Axel, Feb 8, 2005