    Jim

    "Facts are the enemy of truth."
    - Don Quixote - "Man of La Mancha"

    James D Andrews, Sep 13, 2011

  2. James D Andrews

    - Bobb - Guest

    There is a place for "tapping" a screen. but since Microsoft doesn't really
    innovate, they just copy the popular things, here's what Windows 8 will look
    like. Try entering Spreadsheet info on THAT thing. From the look of this,
    Microsoft will try to get users to "rent" Windows, subscribe to "services"/
    'Apps'.

    Once XP was sold and PC's got a lot of memory, most homeusers really had no
    need to upgrade. they are trying desperately to get users to SUBSCRIBE to
    their services. Remember when you had a dumb terminal and the mainframe had
    the programs/ did all the work and just displayed it on the dumb terminal ?
    Well IBM/Microsoft got a lot of that onto the PC desktop and then ... there
    it stayed.

    There's no money in that ,so folks from Microsoft are trying to drag the
    home consumer - back to the mainframe - THEIR CLOUD. So it will be like your
    cable bill, phone bill .... "a computer bill" that you'll pay monthly.

    - Bobb -, Sep 14, 2011

  3. I've tried Linux (Ubuntu) several times but always gave up.
    Ubuntu is an excellent operating system but the software that I use and
    rely on will only run under Windows and not under Linux.

    Erik Vastmasd, Sep 14, 2011
  4. James D Andrews

    Paul Guest

    Just out of curiosity, have you tried WINE for your Windows programs ?

    I have WINE loaded in Ubuntu which I run in a virtual machine, and I
    test Windows software installers in it. WINE keeps a section of hard
    drive as a "C:" drive, and the installer thinks it's on a real PC. WINE
    still has a lot of rough edges, but it is worth a try just to see how
    it works. There are things like "regedit" and "notepad" there too,
    to make you feel at home. And something like "wine /uninstall" brings
    up the Add/Remove control panel, in case you want to do a windows uninstall
    of a program you put there.

    I wouldn't want to bet my life on it working (like have a work project
    hosted that way), but for trivial experiments like the ones I run,
    it's good enough. I test Windows software there, so it won't mess up
    my main OS. The last installer I tested, didn't run to completion,
    but I still got enough of it to work, to prepare a file list from the
    results.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 14, 2011
  5. - Bobb - banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    Ah, yes... "to the cloud!"
    Yeah, that's where it looks like they're headed.

    I read today they're pushing for everyone to have a tablet or a
    touch-screen. As cool as touch screen is, it's not practical for all
    office environments - certainly not mine.
    Not to mention I've got grandchildren. Toddlers & touch screen is
    really asking for trouble.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Facts are the enemy of truth."
    - Don Quixote - "Man of La Mancha"

    James D Andrews, Sep 14, 2011
  6. No I haven't.
    Thanks for the tips Paul.
    I've kept a copy of your email as a reference.
    I'm buying a new computer shortly so I will try Wine on my current
    computer after I setup the new computer and get it running.

    Erik Vastmasd, Sep 15, 2011