Windows 7 Questions....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jun 16, 2012.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hey kids.

    I've recently put W7 [64-bit] on my heavy iron and need help with a few
    things. I guess I could Google but I'm hoping the fine folks here will hwlp
    me a bit as I'm late adopting it you guys probably already know the answers
    to my few questions.

    The pressing questions right now are:

    How do I make it so that, when I'm copying files, the 'More Details' part of
    the copy window *always* shows? I've been testing the speed of my USB sticks
    (with varying FAT32 cluster sizes) and it's a PITA to always have to click
    the arrow so the drop-down part shows. Even when copying across HDDs I'd
    like to know how fast it's going....

    The other thing right now is how can I stop 7 from always showing thumbs in
    the folder view (when it's media files) and just show a list? I'm getting
    sick of changing that all the time and right-clicking, going to 'properties'
    isn;'t helping me. :(

    Any and all help appreciated. I hope you're all having great weekends. :)
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Jun 16, 2012

  2. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    I think if you change it at a high level you can specify that you want
    it to apply to folders and subfolders. At least, you have been able to
    do this in earlier versions of Windows.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 16, 2012

  3. ~misfit~

    Malcolm Guest

    Hi
    fdisk and install openSUSE...... the use hdparm ;)

    I think it's Control panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Folder
    Options -> View tab. You should be able to configure it all there?

    There is hdaparm for windows, else boot from something like parted magic
    and use the GUI tools there to play around.....

    Malcolm, Jun 16, 2012
  4. ~misfit~

    Dave Doe Guest

    Best option here methinks is to use a third party 'explorer'. I use
    MultiCommander (free edition) - it's excellent.

    http://multicommander.com/

    There's another, more well known and popular one, but I can't recall the
    name now.
    The (view) changes you make, per folder, should, by default, stick.

    Dave Doe, Jun 22, 2012
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Thanks Cliff. Unfortuaneately I've been getting a 'you don't have admin
    authority to do that' messages a few times. I don't know why, I'm the only
    user on the machine. I guess I'll have to Google it - this sort of stuff is
    why I gave up on W7 the first time I tried it, pre-sp1. Surely 'help' should
    tell me, I shouldn't have to go to Google? <sigh>

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jun 28, 2012
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    LOL, predictable me old mate.
    You'd think so huh? See my reply to Cliff.
    Thanks Malcolm. Hope you're well.

    ~misfit~, Jun 28, 2012
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Cheers buddy. I was hoping that W7 would be mature enough now for it to
    'just work'. I'd rather not use 3rd party stuff if I can get away without
    it.....

    Be well,

    ~misfit~, Jun 28, 2012
  8. ~misfit~

    Dave Doe Guest

    That seems non-default behaviour methinks. Maybe not. But... if you're
    setting this via a 'My Computer' window, try running it in admin mode -
    hold down <Ctrl><Shift> and click/double-click to open. By default
    there's a Windows Explorer icon in the taskbar you can try that out on.

    Dave Doe, Jun 28, 2012
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I can do certain things by right-clicking and choosing 'run as
    administrator' but things like changing folder views don't have that option.

    I'm still dual-booting and, at the moment, only using W7 (64-bit, I have 8GB
    RAM in that machine) for gaming. Just noodling around in the OS is much too
    complex when I'm used to XP, which I found nice and simple.

    If only I could have the advantages of 7 (superfetch, readyboost, etc...)
    with the simplicity of XP. <sigh>

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jul 10, 2012
  10. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    I read to-day, PCUSER updated Techlife, page 113 that for the elevated
    command prompt, running as administrator, is not the same as running the
    programme as the administrator.

    Might explain the case misfit is experiencing.

    Gordon, Jul 11, 2012