  1. So you didn't bother to check for driver availability before you installed
    the software? Whose fault is that? Anyway, you have to hunt for the
    software even on microsoft.com. MS doesn't advertise it.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 7, 2008

  2. Why oh why did Microsoft push this operating system on their web site?
    Microsoft makes no more or less revenue by offering Windows x64 editions. In
    fact, we are increasing our development, testing, and support costs by
    having another version of Windows.

    The success of x64 computing is extremely important to moving past the
    current limtiations of 32-bit PCs. If your computer has more than about 3.5
    GB of RAM installed, you will not get full use of it without an x64 OS.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/

    No matter how much RAM your computer has installed, a single 32-bit
    application can never make use of more than 2 GB of it. Some special effort
    (a technology called Large Address Aware) can get it to support up to 3 GB,
    but that's it. Even that requires you boot your 32-bit OS in a special mode
    and hope the drivers you have loaded work in that configuration. There are a
    few other technology options out there for giving 32-bit a little more room
    without jumping to 64-bit, but they all really only work for Servers where
    you can tightly control the hardware and software running on the machines.

    For more details, see:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3602/sponsored_feature_ram_vram_and_.php

    Chuck Walbourn [MSFT], Jun 9, 2008

  3. I like the article and bookmarked it, Chuck. Thanks for the link.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 9, 2008
  4. I agree. It is an awful product and I too feel taken in.

    Yes it works most of the time...but I am disappointed that in many
    areas MS have dumped the product and it's users.

    Perhaps I should have know better....as you 'experts' seem to.
    Leave off Disgusted...he has a point.

    CastlemaineGold, Jul 2, 2008
  5. Guest

    MickyB Guest

    Im a big fan of Vista 64bit. Otherwise I couldn't run my dual-channel 4gb RAM
    to its best.

    MickyB, Jul 7, 2008
  6. Guest

    cmd29 Guest

    im a musician and i have a gateway laptop that is 64bit and came with
    vista,and i use this pc mainly for music/audio recording,and i ended up
    downgrading to xp 64 bit,everything works fine,except the audio,i keep
    getting a choppy sound buffer problems,and alot of times i wont even hear any
    sound,but i'll see all the volume levels moving,i agree i think theres alot
    of bugs and glitches in 64 bit

    cmd29, Mar 16, 2010
  7. Guest

    Wiley Post Guest

    The point about laptops reflects a lack of understanding of hardware.
    Better quality dual-core laptops have CPUs and memory that is the same speed
    as better quality dual-core desktops. Desktops have better graphics and
    much more flexibility for installing expansion equipment of your choice but
    the idea that a good laptop is too "anemic" to run audio software is
    ludicrous. Laptops can use power schemes that cut performance but when
    running on AC just set your scheme for maximum performance. A musician
    would however be much better served by using a high quality soundcard that
    can be installed in a desktop as opposed to using the sound system native to
    a laptop motherboard or whatever sound card might be available in PCMCIA
    format.

    As for the general compatibility of XP-64 I have found the greatest problem
    to be in finding drivers for existing graphics cards.

    Also note that since commercial apps running under XP-64 are likely to need
    WOW to actually run in 32 bit mode you shouldn't expect any performance
    improvement relative to XP-32. That should change in the future when
    commercial 64 bit apps become more available.

    WP

    Wiley Post, Mar 17, 2010
  8. Guest

    TMA Guest

    Agreed, laptop audio is bad generally speaking.
    Unless you pay high dollar for a cutting edge equipment, you're doomed.
    As for 64 bit OS drivers, I sincerely believe that Win7 does magic. While in
    XP or Vista I had lots and lots of troubles finding drivers (which some were
    never released for these versions of windows), Win7 can find it by itself,
    right off the install DVD. It's amazing.
    On the other hand, if your fresh install of win7 won't find your driver, you
    better rush to a shop and get another hardware.

    TMA, Mar 20, 2010