    Currently have a Windows 2003 64bit Enterprise server wondering if I can run
    a virtual Windows 2003 Standard 32-bit guest? The application on the guess
    isn't compatiable with 64 bit OS.

    Guest, Apr 5, 2007

  2. If by 64-bit you mean x64 (ie, AMD64 or the Intel clone of it, EM64T), then
    yes. If you mean Itanium, then no.

    In fact, the license for Server 2k3 R2 Enterprise Editions allows you to run
    up to 4 Windows Server 2003 guests without additional licenses.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 5, 2007

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Yes I mean x64. Just after I posted the message I located the answer.
    The key for me being the guest is 32bit

    Virtual Server 2005 R2 runs on both 32-bit and 64-bit (x64) host operating
    systems. It supports both AMD64 and Intel IA-32e/EM64T (x64) processors. Note
    that Virtual Server 2005 R2 does not support Itanium (IA-64) processors.
    Earlier versions of Virtual Server run on x64-based hardware provided it is
    running a 32-bit version of a supported host operating system.

    Note that Virtual Server 2005 R2 requires that guest operating systems be
    32-bit.

    Guest, Apr 5, 2007
  4. If you're using Virtual Server 2005 R2...
    * The host (where VS is installed) operating system can be either 32-bit
    or 64-bit (AMD64/EM64T).

    * The guest (emulated) operating system must be 32-bit.
    (Seek VMware if you want 64-bit guest support)

    Hope that helps clear up the confusion.

    - Rafael

    Rafael R. [Live Butterfly], Apr 5, 2007
  5. Assuming your hardware is good enough, yes.

    Legally, your Enterprise licence allows you to run up to 4 virtual guest
    versions of WS2003 Standard or Enterprise for no extra cost (3 if the host
    is "active" and not simply hosting the guests). So you don't even have to
    fork out for an additional server licence.

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Apr 6, 2007