Windows 2000 shuts down or reboots for no reason

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by WCH, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. WCH

    WCH Guest

    I've been running a Windows 2000 installation for at least a year. It's
    fully patched and updated. I run NIS (also fully updated) and WinFax
    all the time (FYI). The PC (a fast AMD with 512 MB of RAM) runs all the
    time.

    Starting this week I'll come in the room and find the machine off. Just
    shut down. Or I'll come in and find that it's rebooted and is waiting
    for the password prompt for a network connection. In both cases,
    something has caused this PC to shut down/reboot. I'm never in the room
    when it happens. I have no idea what's going on. I haven't installed
    any new software lately. I don't think it's an electrical power
    fluctuation, in that it's on a UPS and I brought in a bigger UPS to
    replace the other one, just in case. No help. The PC will shut
    down/reboot two or three times each day now. I'd hate like hell to have
    to do a clean install, as I've got a ton of stuff on here and it'd take
    hours to reinstall. And even then, how do I know that'd solve the problem?

    How should I proceed to diagnose this issue? I don't even know where to
    start.
    TIA -- WC

    WCH, Dec 7, 2004

  2. WCH

    WCH Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions. I did a full system scan -- nothing. I
    updated and ran both SpyBot S&D and AdAware. SpyBot found nothing,
    AdAware found a few tracking cookies, which I had it delete. The fan of
    my power supply is running, I can hear it and I can feel the air from
    the back. Don't know about the CPU fan, though. I hadn't thought to
    check that but now tomorrow I will. I'll check the power settings. All
    other leads welcomed.
    WC

    WCH, Dec 7, 2004
  5. WCH

    Lord Jester Guest

    It's been awhile since I've used a windows box, but I would start by
    checking your power settings in the control panel. They might be set to
    power down the machine after a certain amount of time with no activity.
    Windows had a tendency to 'adjust' itself on me at times. So it may have
    done this for you. :)
    Next running anti-virus software is not always enough. Do a full system
    scan.
    Also try running a spyware/adware remover. Adaware I hear is good.

    Check your Powersupply and make sure that the fan is still running. My wifes
    box had this problem and it just over heated and shutdown.

    Finally pending others advice, do a complete system backup incase this is a
    hardware problem.

    Good luck,
    JesterDev

    Lord Jester, Dec 7, 2004
  6. WCH

    why? Guest

    Try looking in the event logs, just in case.

    Something Win *needs* on a regular basis anyway.
    If you reinstall once, use Norton Ghost (or similar) backup to CD a
    clean system. If there are still problems it takes a lot less time
    reinstall back off the CDs. This works best if data files / saved stuff
    are on a different partition/drive than the OS.
    Dont leave the room :)

    Me

    why?, Dec 7, 2004
  7. WCH

    ImhoTech Guest

    Start with the yellow pages of your local phone book, under "PC Repair"

    ImhoTech, Dec 7, 2004
  8. WCH

    ImhoTech Guest

    Then you have no business offering advice on how to the fix them.

    ImhoTech, Dec 7, 2004
  9. WCH

    ImhoTech Guest

    Bullshit. A myth propagated by the incompetent.

    ImhoTech, Dec 7, 2004
  10. WCH

    Larry Crites Guest

    Unless your vacuum has an exhaust port, like mine. I take mine out to my
    shop, and shoot the shop vac at it. Wear proper safety protection.

    Larry
    Unlock the Universe

    Larry Crites, Dec 7, 2004
  11. I recommend checking RAM also

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Dec 8, 2004