    she purchased a new microsoft kb, but has now lost the ability to use
    the kb and the mouse as ps2. she is having to run them usb and neither
    of them is functioning properly. what happened? how can I help her fix it?

    Gail, Dec 17, 2005

  2. Gail

    Dan Evans Guest

    At a guess, the coke has shorted something out in the original keyboard and
    sent 5v straight back into the port on a connection not expecting to receive
    it. Odd that the USB ports aren't working properly though. Try using other
    USB ports and see what happens.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Dec 17, 2005

  3. There is actually a very small pico fuse on most motherboards.
    The "coke", the soft drink I hope, probably blew the fuse. I
    have replaced keyboard fuses before. Older boards may have
    a small glass axial lead fuse but new boards will certainly have
    the tiny surface mount type soldered to the motherboard. It
    can be a one shot or a resetable fuse that will reset after the
    power is removed for a short period of time. Replacing the
    one shot surface mount fuse is a job best left to an experienced
    electronic technician. Most people who work on computers
    have no clue how to perform board level repairs and will
    replace a board. You may find that repair price could exceed
    the cost of a new motherboard. Here's a link to what a fuse
    on a motherboard looks like:
    http://tinyurl.com/exbhj

    The Daring Dufas (repair troll)

    The Daring Dufas, Dec 17, 2005