    I'm looking for a program that works in windows 2000 that will permit me
    to create a printer profile that matches my needs. Does anyone know of
    one? Or does anyone have a better profile than what comes with windows?

    william kossack, Aug 23, 2003

  2. william kossack

    John Guest

    LOL! It's time for you to learn what color profile is and how they are used.

    The OS provides the CM engine, each device manufacturer (or third party)
    creates an optimized profile created for specific conditions. In fact, if
    you use a printer, each combination of paper, ink, and model requires a
    separate profile.

    This is true regardless of Windows (ICC) or MacOS (ColorSync).

    John, Aug 24, 2003

  3. I've seen that one. How well does it work?

    william kossack, Aug 25, 2003
  4. william kossack

    Lionel Guest

    Works really well on a CRT, but not so well on my LCD. My LCD ended up
    noticibly cooler than any of the CRTs I compared it to, but the CRTs
    ended up matching pretty well.
    I've been too busy to try the printer profiling feature.

    Lionel, Aug 25, 2003
  5. william kossack

    Pat Chaney Guest

    Was that using Optical of Photocal? I've been considering a Spyder for use
    with an LCD. I read somewhere that Optical was recommended for LCDs but I
    don't know if that was just a sales pitch.

    Pat

    Pat Chaney, Aug 26, 2003
  6. william kossack

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: Pat Chaney
    The older Colorvision colorimeters (Spyders) don't work on LCDs, the suction
    cups will ruin the screen. They modified the Spyder so that it comes with a
    rubber skirt that blocks off extraneous light so you can just drape it over the
    screen and run on an LCD screen, so if you get a Sypder make sure it's the
    newer one with the skirt. I saw older Sypders at close-out prices so make sure
    you get the right one.

    If you're willing to spring for the Optical you might also look at the Gretag
    Macbeth EyeOne ... someone with a lot of experience profiling LCDs told me the
    EyeOne is the best LCD profiler right now, but I think it costs more than the
    Sypder.

    Bill
    (been using the Sypder for several years, but not on an LCD monitor)

    Bill Hilton, Aug 26, 2003
  7. just a thought as a hobbest laying down the cash these products want
    seems prohibative.

    I wish I could just borrow a rig from someone local but I think that is
    not likely

    my other hobby is woodworking and I've spent too much money on wood and
    tools this year.

    william kossack, Aug 26, 2003
  8. william kossack

    Pat Chaney Guest

    Thanks - I've just looked it up and the Eye-One Display model is priced in
    between the Spyder with Photocal and with Optical. I understand that
    GretagMacbeth have a good reputation in this area, so this does indeed sound
    like a good bet.

    Pat

    Pat Chaney, Aug 27, 2003