    of an xp os? Can I use the cd code of my smoked xp to activate the
    new xp os? Do I have to call microsoft to activate the new os?

    thanks.

    Richard, Dec 26, 2009

  2. In general, you should be able to use any "OEM" INSTALLATION media (but
    NOT "restore" or "recovery" media) and the product key from the COA on
    the back of the computer in question. The "edition" of the media must
    match the "edition" of the product key.

    This can get to be a very long discussion for those who don't understand
    the differences between "installation" media and "restore" or "recovery"
    media, not to mention the different "editions" and the differences
    between "OEM" and "full product" media. If you go back a number of
    months (but within the past year) you will find a lengthy
    multi-paragraph post I made here discussing some of this. I'm not going
    to repeat it. You may or may not have to call Microsoft for activation.

    [Installation media installs the OS from scratch using cabinet files;
    restore or recovery media loads a pre-saved but already installed image
    onto the hard drive. Edition (for XP) = Home, Professional, Media
    Center or Tablet.]

    Barry Watzman, Dec 28, 2009

  3. Revising this to correct an error (or poorly worded sentence) in the 2nd
    paragraph:

    *********

    In general, you should be able to use any "OEM" INSTALLATION media (but
    NOT "restore" or "recovery" media) and the product key from the COA on
    the back of the computer in question. The "edition" of the media must
    match the "edition" of the product key.

    This can get to be a very long discussion for those who don't understand
    the differences between "installation" media and "restore" or "recovery"
    media, not to mention the different "editions" and the differences
    between "OEM" and "retail" media. If you go back a number of

    Barry Watzman, Dec 28, 2009