win98se PCI IDE controller driver install

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by anthonyberet, Oct 15, 2005.

  1. anthonyberet

    anthonyberet Guest

    Hi, I have a white-box PCI IDE adapter card (not RAID but Ultra ATA/133).
    I got it from Maplins - I can't find the exact one while searching
    today, and there is nothing on the box, documentation, or card itself
    which gives away the manufacturer of model number. (I have searched
    already on the few numbers that are printed on the card).

    Anyway, I am finding that when I try to install the thing, that Win98se
    will detect it on boot-up and start the driver install routine, but when
    I point the driver install dialog at the win98se driver on the setup CD,
    my machine reports that no suitable drivers are found.

    I must say, I hate the win98se driver install functions, and I am
    blaming that rather than the disk, or my DVDRW-drive which is working ok.

    Any thoughts on how I can circumvent the win98 routines?
    Can I manually install the drivers from the disk? - where would I out them?
    (There is no setup utility on the disk, only the driver files themselves).

    It's getting on my wick.

    I need to use this card because my new HD is 200gb, and my mobo IDE wont
    recognise that size, and neither will win98 directly (I want to
    partion into 2 100gb drives).

    Any thoughts?

    anthonyberet, Oct 15, 2005

  2. anthonyberet

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    you may have to manually set the installer
    to the correct path...
    look for a folder such as \drivers\win9x

    philo, Oct 15, 2005

  3. anthonyberet

    anthonyberet Guest

    Thanks, but I did that.

    anthonyberet, Oct 15, 2005
  4. anthonyberet

    Trax Guest

    |>Hi, I have a white-box PCI IDE adapter card (not RAID but Ultra ATA/133).
    |>I got it from Maplins - I can't find the exact one while searching
    |>today, and there is nothing on the box, documentation, or card itself
    |>which gives away the manufacturer of model number. (I have searched
    |>already on the few numbers that are printed on the card).

    Get the FCC number off the board and input it here:
    https://www.part68.org/tte.cfm
    Should give you a heads up on what it is, and where to find the proper
    drivers.

    Trax, Oct 15, 2005
  5. anthonyberet

    anthonyberet Guest

    Thanks, that looks like a good idea - however, I bought the thing in the
    UK, and although it states FCC approved on the card, it doesn't have any
    5-digit numbers

    anthonyberet, Oct 15, 2005
  6. anthonyberet

    Trax Guest

    |>> Get the FCC number off the board and input it here:
    |>> https://www.part68.org/tte.cfm
    |>> Should give you a heads up on what it is, and where to find the proper
    |>> drivers.

    |>Thanks, that looks like a good idea - however, I bought the thing in the
    |>UK, and although it states FCC approved on the card, it doesn't have any
    |>5-digit numbers

    My best shot...

    Trax, Oct 15, 2005
  7. anthonyberet

    old jon Guest

    hi Ant. Don`t know whether `Everest home Edition` would find it ?. it must
    be worth
    a try. It gives you all the info it can find about your setup.
    best wishes..OJ

    old jon, Oct 15, 2005
  8. anthonyberet

    why? Guest

    x-post trimmed to 24hshd, although that doesn't make much odds now days
    with copies of messages appearing in http://hardware.mcse.ms/

    Maplin part code?

    Looking then for Generic chipset driver? The IDE controller chip should
    help, unledd it's highly integrated on 1 chip :-(
    Then it's not for the US market, if it had been approved for sale in the
    US the ID AFAIK should be there.

    This tool a while. duh. Look in past posts in 24HSHD, some of them mine
    for PCITree, there are several PCI utilities mentioned in a few of my
    posts. Although Win98 may be an issue, in that case when the PC boots on
    the equipment list there is for a second or 2 a table of PCI device
    numbers , 1 for the manufacturer device and 1 the manufacturer code.
    Assuming I remember correctly, only needing to use PCITree once, years
    ago.

    If I am wrong, then read the posts and the PCI site info.

    These numbers and lists of PCI codes on the PCI device sites, find the
    mentioned old posts , that could help.

    <http://groups.google.com/group/24ho...=24hoursupport.helpdesk&q=pcitree+author:why?>

    Me

    why?, Oct 15, 2005
  9. anthonyberet

    philo Guest

    I'd take the thing back for a refund and get a more reliable brand...
    maybe SIIG or Promise

    philo, Oct 16, 2005
  10. anthonyberet

    anthonyberet Guest

    I suspect that is the best answer - thanks for thinking about it anyway.

    anthonyberet, Oct 16, 2005
  11. anthonyberet

    dadiOH Guest

    No help with your card but if the new 200 GB HD is the only reason you
    bought it you shouldn't need it. Any reason you can't use the drive
    manufacturer's utility/install disk to partition the drive into the two
    100 GB partitions you desire?

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Oct 16, 2005
  12. anthonyberet

    philo Guest

    after all...
    if the drivers that came with the device don't work...
    not too likely you'd find anything anywhere else

    philo, Oct 16, 2005
  13. anthonyberet

    why? Guest

    x-post trimmed to 24hshd.

    Out of the 3 cards 1 (WF84F) doesn't list any OS in the specs, the
    others (A77AF , A26CA) do , NT4/98Se/ME/2000/XP. The A26 is 2 ports, the
    A77 is 4.

    Me

    why?, Oct 16, 2005
  14. anthonyberet

    Shep© Guest

    Never buy any PC stuff from Maplins.I've taken loads back and will
    never purchase more than a cable from them ever again.Get you money
    back and get a better brand :)

    Shep©, Oct 18, 2005
  15. anthonyberet

    if Guest

    Check the driver file properties - they should say who the company is etc.
    The generic card I got from Maplins turned out to be a Medley card with
    Silicon Image chipset. If you've already installed the driver files will
    probably be in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS directory, my card installed
    two files there.
    I got a RAID ATA133 card from Maplins for under £20 a couple of years ago
    and it's been fine, and was less than half the price everyone else wanted
    for an ATA card at the time. Admittedely computer bargains from Maplins are
    fairly rare but they do occasionally occur.

    if, Oct 19, 2005
  16. anthonyberet

    anthonyberet Guest

    Funnily enough - I was able to identify the driver files by opening them
    in notepad - this lead me via Google to newer versions - which work!

    anthonyberet, Oct 19, 2005
  17. anthonyberet

    anthonyberet Guest

    The reason was that I want more drivespace - the IDE ports on my mobo
    are full.
    I am working towards having a standalone fileserver, and this is part of
    my testing.

    anthonyberet, Oct 19, 2005
  18. anthonyberet

    anthonyberet Guest