    Do you have to install the internet connection sharring software?

    Thks in advance
    JahT

    JanH, Sep 9, 2005

  2. JanH

    Malke Guest

    No, you don't need to install ICS - that would break the networking! If
    you are connecting the Win98 box wired, just set it to get its IP and
    DNS automatically, plug it in and reboot. You might need to run the
    Internet Connection Wizard (Internet Properties from Control Panel),
    but that might not be necessary. If you want to use a wireless card,
    you'll need to follow whatever installation instructions come with the
    card.

    Malke

    Malke, Sep 10, 2005

  3. JanH

    JanH Guest

    Thanks Malke,
    will try right now and post later with outcome!!
    thanks for the really Quick comeback!!
    :>)
    jaht

    JanH, Sep 10, 2005
  4. JanH

    Greg Guest

    You are correct that it isnt needed UNLESS the 98 machine is the one all
    Internet is going through but you arent right about it breaking the network.
    I have an old 98SE machine I used to go through for all Internet and built
    this machine and have XP Pro on it, bought a wireless ADSL router/modem and
    bought USB wireless nics and put them on all machines and the router down
    the other end of the house. Nothing is broken. All worked OK until I smashed
    the NIC on the 98SE machine at which point I connected it WIRED to a wired
    only hub I had sitting around and that to this computer and now have it
    going through the wired to the wireless on THIS computer which has ICS now
    enabled. I never turned ICS off on the 98SE machine and it is STILL going
    just fine.

    Greg, Sep 11, 2005
  5. JanH

    Malke Guest

    (snip)

    Right, but s/he already said s/he has a router, so no need for ICS.

    Malke

    Malke, Sep 11, 2005
  6. JanH

    Greg Guest

    .....which wasn't the point of my reply. That was one entire sentence saying
    it isn't needed unless the 98 machine is the one used for internet. Your
    reply said having ICS on the machine would break networking. It wont.

    Greg, Sep 11, 2005