    something will work fine one day and not the next, and there are no clues
    as to why.
    UAC is turned off completely as it is just an another annoyance.

    Jeff Gaines, Jan 13, 2011

  2. Jeff Gaines

    Carlos Guest

    Jeff,
    The only way I can think of getting your Omnipage installed again is
    by using system restore to the day before yesterday.
    Leftovers from the uninstallation may be preventing the new
    installation.
    Maybe cleaning the TEMP directory (Winkey + R, %TEMP%, ENTER) can fix
    it.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 13, 2011

  3. Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    Thanks, Carlos:)
    I spent 3 hours this morning setting up and installing a new Canon MG6150
    so I want to avoid system restore.
    What I did was install the app on another machine then copy it over. It
    runs but it can't find the scanner:-(
    I can feel a restore of my XP x64 image coming on, I've never been able to
    live with Win7 more than 48 hours.

    Jeff Gaines, Jan 13, 2011
  4. Jeff Gaines

    Carlos Guest

    Jeff,
    How about copying the registry entries of Omnipage in the other PC
    also?
    Also take into account that if you have Windows 7 Ultimate you can
    always use "XP mode" for legacy applications!
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 13, 2011
  5. Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    I've put XP x64 back on, the Canon works fine with it and I've been able
    to recover my 2 websites that became corrupted.
    I don't know why but I just cannot get on with Win7, I really ought to
    stop trying!

    Jeff Gaines, Jan 13, 2011
  6. Jeff Gaines

    wilby Guest

    About a year ago I had a similar problem with a new computer that had
    Win 7/64 on it. I couldn't get my old (from a XP machine) Omnipage SE
    2.0 to install and work on win 7/64.

    I don't recall the details but I finally made it load and work just fine.

    As I dimly recall, there are no Win 64 drivers for my Canon scanner so I
    had to load some old Canon/Omnipage bundle-ware software and some new
    versions of some of the components that I downloaded.

    I guess I'm simply saying that there is a way to do this, keep trying.
    If I remember more later I'll post it here.

    Wilby

    wilby, Jan 13, 2011
  7. Actually, you really ought to spend the time to get there. Way too many
    things aren't supported at all on XP x64, and that won't improve going
    forward. Yes, the UI takes some getting used to, things are in different
    places and have different requirements. But honestly, once you get past that
    initial learning curve (and I'm not trying to minimize it at all), you'll
    find Win7 is a more productive place to work. One thing that helped me get
    past the "where did they put it" issues was to use the command line for
    several things that are now in a different spot. For example, the Network
    Connections dialog that lets you change the settings for a NIC. Several
    mouse clicks deeper than it should be, but "ncpa.cpl" at the command line
    works in every modern version of Windows to get to that exact same screen.

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Jan 13, 2011
  8. Jeff Gaines

    Carlos Guest

    Hi Charlie,
    Maybe it was easier for us because our path was XP x64, Vista x64, Win
    7 x64.
    Jumping from XP x64 to Win 7 x64 is sort of a "religious" experience.
    :)
    I do like Windows 7, don't want to go back, though XP x64 will be like
    my first girlfriend.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 13, 2011
  9. Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    I put my thoughts together on my website a while back:
    http://www.jgaines.me.uk/html/windows_7.html

    XP x64 does everything I want it to (at the moment). I don't upgrade for
    the sake of it - I still use Office 97 because no later version does
    anything more or better. I did upgrade to Access 2007 as it had a feature
    that Access 97 didn't but Word and Excel still only produce letters and
    spreadsheets (as did my BBC Micro in 1982 or thereabouts).
    I just can't see any advantages, every MSFT OS gets bigger and slower,
    W2K flies on modern equipment but Win7 just soaks up the cycles.

    At the end of the day it's an OS and I use my machine for running
    applications, I don't even want to be aware of the OS.

    Jeff Gaines, Jan 13, 2011
  10. Jeff Gaines

    wilby Guest

    I found some info on this.

    I somehow installed the new Canoscan software that came with my new (2
    years ago) scanner, but installed the older Omnipage software. As I
    recall, it wasn't compatible with win-7.

    In the end I have a happy system.

    Wilby

    wilby, Jan 14, 2011
  11. Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    Thanks, Wilby.

    I have managed to do that on XP x64 as well - install the Canon s/w then
    persuade Omnipage to recognise the new scanner. It's still a good OCR app,
    old as it is.

    Jeff Gaines, Jan 14, 2011
  12. Yes, we paid the pain going to Vista 64, and by the time we got to Win7 64,
    it was a big improvement. Changes your attitude. ;)

    And I couldn't agree more about XP x64 being like your first love. (though
    goodness knows I've been doing this a LONG time.) There will always be a
    special place in my heart for XP x64, but I wouldn't run it now.

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Jan 14, 2011
  13. Jeff Gaines

    John Turco Guest

    I happen to be the same way, Jeff. For example, I still use Netscape
    Communicator 4.8, as my news reader and e-mail application. Not only
    is it some 8 years old, but..its maker has long since, become extinct!

    Last month (Dec., 2010), in fact, I'd "upgraded" to Paint Shop Pro
    Photo XI. This program was released in 2006; nonetheless, it's quite
    a bit newer than my previous version (i.e., 2000's Paint Shop Pro 7).

    I'm only referring to my current, antique, homemade desktop computer
    (PIII 1050MHz, XP Home 32-bit), with its modest hardware capabilities.
    My next PC build will feature Vista Home Premium 64-bit, running on an
    Intel Q6700 "Core 2 Quad" 2.66GHz processor.

    John Turco, Jan 16, 2011
  14. Jeff Gaines

    Kue2 Guest

    John that new build will run Win 7 64 nicely

    Kue2, Jan 21, 2011
  15. Jeff Gaines

    John Turco Guest

    I'm sure you're right -- thanks!

    Regardless, this "Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit"
    OEM DVD, cost me $109.99 USD (Newegg.com <http://www.newegg.com>),
    way back on August 4, 2008; I'd like to get my money's worth from
    it, therefore.

    As to Windows 7 64-bit, my eMachines "E725-4520" notebook (Pentium
    T4400 "dual-core" 2.20GHz) came with it. I've owned the computer,
    for about 10 months and have rarely even turned it on.

    My brief encounters with Win7, hardly left me enamored of the OS,
    I must admit. It isn't nearly as user-friendly, as XP and earlier
    Windows versions were.

    Further, Communicator 4.8 wouldn't install, on the E725-4520 --
    but, Paint Shop Pro 7 >did<. That's sort of strange, as they're
    both 32-bit apps.

    John Turco, Jan 23, 2011