    OE. I am using Eternal September. Would this not be compatible with
    whatever mail reader I would have to use with one of those systems?

    Thanks!

    Julie Bove, Dec 14, 2012

  2. Julie Bove

    Paul Guest

    You could give Thunderbird a try.

    And there's more of them listed here.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_news_clients

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 14, 2012

  3. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    I already have Eternal September. The client isn't the problem. Are you
    saying that Eternal September won't work with whatever newsreader comes with
    Win7 or Win8? My friend has Win7 and he said he view in Windows Live Mail.

    Julie Bove, Dec 14, 2012
  4. Julie Bove

    Paul Guest

    Newsreader programs are independent of the server.

    Thunderbird will work with Eternal September
    Windows Live Mail will work with Eternal September.
    OE (for older OS) will work with Eternal September.
    40tude Dialog will work with Eternal September.

    Some of these readers, allow you to set up more than one
    server at a time. I have "AIOE" and "Eternal September"
    set up in Thunderbird. I can scan either server for new
    items. If Eternal September is not working, I can
    switch to AIOE and read news, and vice versa. All from the
    left side bar menu.

    Where the newsreaders differ, is in "compliance".

    OE needed the addition of "OE Quote Fix", in order
    to function properly, and prepare message that
    were easy to read by other newsreader programs.

    Windows Live Mail is not compliant either. It poorly
    formats messages, and screws up quoting, so you can't
    tell who said what in a message. WLM version 14 is
    slightly better than WLM version 15, but not by much.

    Thunderbird is reasonably good at being compliant
    with message formatting. But it isn't exactly a
    Swiss Army knife. Other newsreaders support "scoring"
    and more elaborate filters. The filters that some
    of the newsreaders have, are barely adequate.

    If you recommend a newsreader to another person,
    try to aim for a tool that will not irritate
    respondents to that person. So they won't get
    flamed, called "noob" or whatever :)

    You can test the newsreaders, and try posting to
    alt.test. Say, post with WLM 15, do a reply to
    your own message with WLK 15, then look at the
    result with Thunderbird, all without bothering
    anybody. Alt.test is the perfect place for experiments.
    Like determining whether your line wrap works
    properly, the quoting worked OK, the .sig got
    deleted properly, and so on.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Dec 14, 2012
  5. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    Strange. I got a message from them saying that AIOE switched to Eternal
    September.
    I got Quote Fix but rarely have to use it.
    Ah... I see...
    I see.
    I think the person who told me that I wouldn't be able to read newsgroups
    didn't know what he was talking about.

    Julie Bove, Dec 14, 2012