Win7 can't see XP Home printer

Discussion in 'Wireless Networks' started by RJK, Apr 17, 2010.

  1. RJK

    RJK Guest

    Hardware:-
    TalkTalk's Huawei Echolife HG520b router,
    Asus X5DIJ Laptop running Windows 7 64 bit,
    Midi-tower XP2200 running Windows Home SP3+ with a
    Tenda Wireless-G USB Adapter ( http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159814 ) in it.

    The midi-tower has an Epson SX415 connected to it with a USB lead,
    ....have gone into Printer properties and set it to be "shared," but,
    Win7-Laptop can't see it, so can't see how to install drivers on Laptop so
    that it can send print to that printer.

    Both PC's have AVG Internet Security suite installed on them, and am
    wondering if firewall is interfering / preventing something somewhere, i.e.
    should I uninstall that suite on both computers, then try and set up wifi
    printing ?

    Prior to all above, XP Home PC had an old, but perfect and hardly used,
    Epson 670 connected to it with USB lead, and the Win7 laptop could see it,
    and wanted a driver for it, but, after hunting through Epson's web-site -
    they have not produced a Win7 driver for their old Stylus 670 .....SWINES
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    So, now have a new printer installed into XP Home midi-tower but, Win7 64
    bit can't see it through the router.

    I have been Googling and wading through material where people are having
    similar problems but, my unfamiliarity with Win7, and several other areas
    aren't getting me very far.

    any help would be much appreciated.

    TIA, regards, Richard

    RJK, Apr 17, 2010

  2. This is really a Windows 7 question, not a WinXP question, and you will find
    the answer in this Windows 7 forum:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com...g/thread/8e18df52-eaf0-4758-a1c1-87057d9f96e9

    Pegasus [MVP], Apr 17, 2010

  3. RJK

    RJK Guest

    Thanks "Pegasus [MVP]" ...I followed my nose, and uninstalled AVG 9.0
    internet security suite on both machines,
    ....installed Epson SX415 Windows 7 64 bit printer driver on Laptop,
    (which was a hit and miss affair as the driver download from Epson was an
    *.exe configured to unzip and straightaway run a setup.exe - which
    eventually wanted the printer to be connected - so abandoned it at that
    point and rebooted - it must have installed the driver !), as
    ....Asus Laptop could then see Epson SX415 printer upstairs which is
    connected by USB lead to XP2200 XP Home midi-tower with Wireless G USB plug
    in it,
    ....(ISP TalkTalk's Huawei Echolife HG520b wifi / router in the hallway),
    ....reinstalled AVG 9.0 on both PC's and Asus Laptop can still print to that
    printer :)

    So all is working beatifully :)

    ....couldn't understand the "Printer Sharing" settings on the XP Home SP3
    xp2200+ PC upstairs, where you could check box / select more drivers, so
    that they'd be available to people on the "network?" who might want to print
    to that printer, and who might be running a different Windows platform,
    i.e. there wasn't a "Windows 7" driver in the list, to make available to the
    Windows 7 64 bit Laptop !

    regards, Richard

    ps will visit hyperlink you supplied later today, ...just returned from town
    after sorting above !

    RJK, Apr 17, 2010
  4. Hi
    Win 7 when configured on peer-to-peer Network, Win 7 has three types of
    Sharing configurations.
    Home Network = Works only between Win 7 computers. This type of
    configuration makes it very easy to Entry Level Users to start Network
    sharing.
    Work Network = Basically similar to the previous methods of sharing that let
    you control what, how, and to whom folders would be shared with.
    Public Sharing = Public Network (like Internet cafe) to reduce security
    risks.
    The Work Network is the one that most of us are going (and need) to use.
    Win7 Work Network's Sharing settings are in principle similar to Vista's
    configuration, some menus locations in Win 7 might be in different place,
    and look a little different, but it should not be a problem to adapt.
    Firewall instructions.
    Win7 -
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...mputers-running-different-versions-of-Windows
    Win7 - Work Network with a little visual help),
    ,http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windows7/windows7_sharing.htm
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    When finished with the setting of the system it is advisable to Reboot all
    the hardware including Router and all computers involved.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Apr 19, 2010
  5. RJK

    Aareen

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2010
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aareen, Apr 22, 2010
  6. RJK

    RJK Guest

    Many thanks, and I will work through links you've kindly supplied,
    ....eventually / soon.
    Configuring IP / DNS addresses, (having next to no background in
    networking), is, always to me, simply a nightmare !
    Though I do often try to get a grasp on what goes where, and by necessity,
    in the past, have had to ascertain Gateway address, local IP address, router
    addresses etc.

    The thing I keep discovering the hard way, is that AVG internet security
    suite's software firewall doesn't do enough to help the lay-person cope with
    a modified environment !
    And the simple solution always seems to end up being uninstalling the suite,
    doing hardware additions or alterations, and then reinstalling the suite,
    which then seems to take account of the changes as it's reinstalled !

    I often wade through AVG's Firewall settings, and rummage through the myriad
    settings in there, in wonderment, ....often wondering which "controls" are
    strangling the hardware that I'm fighting with !

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Apr 23, 2010
  7. RJK

    Lem Guest

    RJK wrote:
    <snip

    Actually, you'd be better off uninstalling the "security suite" and not
    reinstalling it.

    You DO need an antivirus program. You DON'T need all the rest of the
    resource-consuming "features" typically found in such suites. In
    particular, the combination of your router and the built-in Windows XP
    firewall is sufficient protection against "port scanners" and other
    Internet intrusion attempts.

    Lem, Apr 23, 2010
  8. RJK

    RJK Guest

    Thanks but, I've always liked being alerted to outbound connections attempts
    by all internet enabled software in my PC's, and AVG internet security suite
    has never placed much of an overhead on my PC's.
    And considering the vast range of sophisticated malware, out there -
    particularly rootkits and "man in the middle" attacks (quite fascinating),
    I'll keep AVG and other anti-malware software in place.

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Apr 23, 2010
  9. RJK

    RJK Guest