Win2K workgroup not accessible...?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kenneth, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    Howdy,

    I just started having some confusing network problems:

    We have 5 peer to peer Win2K boxes connected through a hub.

    The five systems are in a workgroup called "Office."

    System "A" holds certain data. Frequently, other systems cannot open
    those data files. No error messages appear, but the systems attempting
    access take an incredibly long time to access the files, or they hang.

    Systems "B" "C" "D" and "E" can open files back and forth with no
    trouble.

    System "A" can open files on the other four systems with no trouble.

    If, on the systems other than "A" I attempt to look at all the systems
    in "Office" I get the error:

    "Office is not accessible. The network path was not found."

    If I attempt to look at all the systems from system "A" (the one with
    the data files) all the systems display properly.

    So, it seems to be a problem relating to system "A", but it has that
    one-way aspect that I find confusing ("A" can properly see other
    systems but they cannot properly see "A".)

    I don't know how to proceed from there. I did check the network
    configuration settings on system "A" and they look fine. We use
    netBEUI as our lan protocol.

    I would welcome any thoughts about next steps.

    Sincere thanks,

    Kenneth, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Kenneth

    JIM Guest

    Make sure that if you have a firewall (which you should have)
    to configure it for that ip set
    Zone alarm is well known for slowing down the web browser
    and blocking access to peers.

    JIM, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Kenneth

    Alien Zord Guest

    Clue: netBEUI

    Alien Zord, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Kenneth

    Alien Zord Guest

    Presuming you've checked the usual: workgroup the same, computer names all
    different, usernames/passwords of all PCs exist in all PCs "Users" list etc
    then I would suspect a hardware problem. Prime suspect would be the network
    card in A, its patch cord or hub port.

    Alien Zord, Dec 5, 2003
  5. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    Kenneth, Dec 5, 2003
  6. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    Well, I am guess I am "clueless"...

    Is there something that I should modify in netBEUI, or are you
    suggesting a switch to another protocol? If so, which one?

    Sincere thanks,

    Kenneth, Dec 5, 2003
  7. Kenneth

    Alien Zord Guest

    My reply was aimed at JIM.

    Alien Zord, Dec 5, 2003
  8. Kenneth

    Alien Zord Guest

    When you mentioned netBEUI in your original post I assumed this was chosen
    deliberately to stop the machines accessing the internet. Now that you've
    mentioned ZA on all the PCs things get a bit confusing.
    Is there a reason for netBEUI or is it simply that you don't know how to
    setup a local network using TCP/IP protocol?
    NetBEUI is a non-routable protocol therefore ZA cannot work with it.
    Do the PCs access internet? Via a modem or a router?

    Alien Zord, Dec 5, 2003
  9. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    Howdy,

    A few of the systems access the internet via dialup using TCP/IP. They
    all talk to eachother using netBEUI. We have had it set up that way
    (successfully) for years.

    If there were a benefit, I certainly assume that I could set up our
    lan via TCP/IP.

    But, for now, it would certainly appear that I am having a hardware
    problem on box "A".

    I will experiment further to isolate the difficulty...

    Sincere thanks,

    Kenneth, Dec 5, 2003
  10. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest