    Julia Guest

    I can't access msconfig; also when I do a ctrl alt dlt it won't bring
    up the task manager. What's up?

    Julia, Jul 21, 2004

  2. Julia

    The Prophecy Guest

    Are there any error messages? What OS are you using? When did this problem
    start?

    The Prophecy, Jul 21, 2004

  3. Julia

    Tool Guest

    If you can't go to start, run, and type msconfig and press enter and
    have it come up, I'd do the repair install of windows off of your
    disk, if that doesn't work I'd format and reload, thats about all I
    know to try.

    ==============

    Tool, Jul 21, 2004
  4. Julia

    The Prophecy Guest

    Before you do this, Locate your Windows install CD, go to Start, Run, type
    in "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. Once the process has finished, reboot
    your computer and see if msconfig and the Task Manager works. If not then do
    what "Tool" has suggested.

    The Prophecy, Jul 21, 2004
  5. Julia

    ~S~ Guest

    This should be your 1st step.
    Download a tool that allows u to view xp running processes, even better if
    tool also allows u to kill running processes (basically same thing task
    manager does).

    http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Task~Process_Tools.htm
    I just googled this page. I have not used these specific tools, but similar
    ones in past. You'll get the idea.

    My whole point here i for you to check whether something shitty has been
    running itself everytime you log on, and SOMETIMES, these shitty processes
    CAN disrupt ctrl-alt-dlt etc from my own experience.
    rundll's that have not stopped themselves, spyware, etc can do this.

    Next step, spyware, and antivirus check.

    If none of that works, do a repair if you've been using sytem restore, go
    back to that, if not choose best previous good startup from F8 menu at dos
    startup.

    If none of that works, reformat, but 1st back all up with drive image, or xp
    backup (if u must) feature.

    ~S~

    troubleshooting newsgroups.

    ~S~, Jul 21, 2004
  6. Julia

    ~S~ Guest

    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=apt

    off that page, PS, this one works fine...

    Be careful what u kill.

    Explorer itself can be restarted simply by typing explorer in the 'run'
    window (for future reference) or browsing to Windows folder and restarting
    it (ye old double-click), hopefully using a destop folder as your explorer,
    cuz your main Explorer window has crashed (not as terminal a situation as
    you may have always thought). Side info that saves asses.

    "~S~"

    ~S~, Jul 21, 2004