    this is the first time this has happened, and then it restarts. Boot
    back up and it may not do it again for days. Any ideas, and where do I
    find xp's error log. Can't seem to locate it. Thanks alot.

    Alex, Mar 7, 2004

  2. Alex

    °Mike° Guest

    Control Panel / System / Advanced tab.
    Startup and Recovery ... Settings.
    System failure ... Uncheck 'Automatically restart'.

    °Mike°, Mar 7, 2004

  3. Alex

    Unk Guest

    Windows XP has a default setting to "Restart on failure"

    Right click on "My Computer" and select Manage.
    Expand the Event Viewer category and look through each of the three
    sub-categories for the red flagged error records. The date and time
    of these should correspond to your restarts. Double click on an
    error record to see the details of the error.

    You can change this restart behavior if you want.

    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Advanced

    In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the "Settings" button
    to open the Startup and Recovery window.

    In the System Failure section, uncheck "Automatically restart",
    Click "Apply", "OK"

    After that change the computer will no longer restart when a system
    failure occurs. Instead it will probably throw up a "Blue Screen Of
    Death" with a STOP error message and then halt completely, requiring
    a manual power off and restart (or reset if it has a hardware reset
    switch).

    But the contents of the STOP error message will give a specific clue
    as to the underlying cause of the problem.

    Unk, Mar 7, 2004
  4. Alex

    PuppyKatt Guest

    Get thee to the microsoft site and get the Blaster fix.

    : Not sure how to explain this one, but on occasion xp will just shut
    : down. It shows a quick screen which I cannot read fast enough. Blue
    : background with a whole page of white text. I do see the words "If

    PuppyKatt, Mar 7, 2004