    how to correct it...anybody able to help on resolving this irritating
    problem.?

    TIA

    hummingbird, Jun 11, 2004

  2. hummingbird

    Kevin Horner Guest

    115.2 is the speed from the modem to your motherboard
    42.67 is the speed from your isp to your modem

    Kevin Horner, Jun 11, 2004

  3. hummingbird

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jun 11, 2004
  4. hummingbird

    hummingbird Guest

    I know that.
    What I want to know is how to get the modem speed (42.67)
    to appear in the DUN icon and Task Manager as it should do
    (and as it used to do until something changed...).

    hummingbird, Jun 11, 2004
  5. hummingbird

    hummingbird Guest

    Thanks °Mike°. I hoped you might cast your eye at this problem.
    I've got a USR 56k internal voice modem V.90 and it worked well
    under W98/SE but since rebuilding my machine and installing XP-Pro,
    the modem connection has gone barmy.

    XP-Pro auto-installed the modem and calls it a 'USR 56k Voice
    Win 1806' (whatever that is) and uses the 1806 .inf which I think may
    be the wrong one. I've noticed apart from the DTE port speed being
    reported instead of DCE connection speed, it also shows that no
    compression is used nor error correction! Adding extra AT settings
    seems to have no effect. I also suffer from frequent 'lost carrier'
    problems (connection just stops but stays connected) and have to
    disconnect and re-dial. Then I find the DUN often goes into
    'Not Responding' mode...so I have to close with brute force.
    Such is life.

    Anyway, I'll browse around that link you quoted above and keep
    trying to get to the bottom of it.

    Thanks for your help.

    hummingbird, Jun 12, 2004
  6. hummingbird

    °Mike° Guest

    Then you need to update it to the correct one. See the
    USR site for the correct driver .inf file:
    http://www.usr.com/support/drivers-template.asp?prod=s-modem
    http://www.usr.com/support/downloads-template.asp?prod=s-modem
    http://www.usr.com/support/drivers-template.asp?prod=s-pccard

    If you can't find it above, see:
    http://www.usr.com/support/s-main-menu.asp
    You can correct that in the DUN properties.
    See if updating the modem driver helps.
    Ok, good luck.

    °Mike°, Jun 12, 2004
  7. hummingbird

    hummingbird Guest

    I'll have another look but...
    I've Been there. Sadly, USR don't seem to know which modem I have.
    The picture & spec they show of my model number don't match.

    I think their modem model naming/numbering must have got out of
    control some time ago, possibly when 3Com/USR merged and (I think)
    then de-merged again.
    I'll take another look.
    Been there, changed the properties but some changes have no effect
    (compression/error correcton).
    I'm running the latest driver installed with XP-Pro.
    USR site has nothing for XP.
    Thanks, there might be some clues on that other website or links.

    hummingbird, Jun 12, 2004