Win XP Home not going past welcome screen

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Vic, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. Vic

    Vic Guest

    Didn't boot off of this hard drive. Since the systems were not identicale I
    knew that the HAL would pitch a fit. I used a complete system with its on
    copy of Windows XP and installed the hard drive that has the software
    problem on it. I ran a virus scan and chkdsk. Upon further thinking on the
    problem I am thinking that the maybe the system profile got corrupted when
    norton tried to add itself to the all users start up group. I don't think it
    is a hardware problem since the problem only started after I installed
    Norton 2006. But it might not be a complete waste of time to test anyway. I
    found this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313322 which is the closest
    match I have been able to find. I think the next thing I will do after
    testing the ram is run windows setup in repair unless somebody has anything
    better.
    Thanks
    Vic

    So the HDD boots when you connect it to a different system? In that
    case, the problem isn't the HDD, it's your system.

    It could be that the RAM has gone bad, something on the MB that has
    failed, or any number of things.

    You can download several system diagnostics tools and begin testing
    your system. Several of these include:

    Windows Memory Diagnostic from
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    memtest86-3.2.iso.zip (for Windows) from:
    http://www.memtest86.com/#download0

    The Ultimate Boot CD from:
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    HTH

    Can't it does the same thing in safe mode all accounts. I took the hard
    drive out and put in another system and ran chkdsk. The scan found nothing.
    Other suggestions?
    Thanks
    Vic
    Bootup in Safe Mode and get rid of buggy Norton.

    Vic, Jan 16, 2006