    Any suggestions/gotchas to consider?

    Cheers,
    Dany.

    Dany P. Wu, Nov 29, 2004

  2. Got plenty of RAM?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 29, 2004

  3. Dany P. Wu

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    What's "plenty" Dave? I only have 512 MB

    D.

    Dany P. Wu, Nov 29, 2004
  4. I'm running Windows Server 2003 on a virtual machine (Virtual PC 2004)
    configured with 512MB, for my in-house unit/system tests. It currently runs
    IIS and SQL Server 2000.

    Mauricio Freitas, Nov 29, 2004
  5. Dany P. Wu

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    The big question is *how* is it running with 512 MB? :eek:) Is it limping?
    jogging? sprinting?

    D.

    Dany P. Wu, Nov 29, 2004
  6. Dany P. Wu

    Richard Guest

    I have it on a shitbucket old toshiba with 128 megs and its a hell of a lot more
    responcive then XP was on the same machine.

    Richard, Nov 29, 2004
  7. 512 is fine, it'll run better with more, but it depends on what you are
    using it for... I dont know what the requirements are for "Visual Studio
    ..NET Enterprise Architect" or how it is used, so that is beyond me sorry.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 29, 2004
  8. It goes along very well - it's fast actually - I've used it for DTS while
    importing Geekzone data into a test SQL server, and performed some web
    stress test and it performed well.

    Mauricio Freitas, Nov 29, 2004
  9. Dany P. Wu

    E. Guest

    RAM doesn't seem to be that much of an issue with 2k3 - the speed of the
    disk subsystem is what makes or breaks a 2k3 box in my experience.
    IDE/SATA don't cut it once under load (e.g. with exchange/antivirus
    deployed) on a production machine. U320 all the way....
    E.

    E., Nov 30, 2004
  10. Dany P. Wu

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    Thanks for the responses everyone. I installed it and was suitably impressed
    *except* for problems with some devices.

    For some reason it could not correctly detect and install support for my
    bluetooth, IR and something else it identified as "Unknown Device".
    Everything else seemed to work fine.

    Unfortunately I rely on my IR to sync with my phone and two other computers
    :( So I'm back on XP Pro for the moment. Ah well, maybe on another computer.

    Cheers,
    D.

    Dany P. Wu, Dec 1, 2004
  11. Windows Server 2003 will only support Bluetooth devices based on
    Widcomm/Broadcom 1.4 and up. IR is not included AFAIK.

    Mauricio Freitas, Dec 1, 2004
  12. Dany P. Wu

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    Great pity - I have Widcomm Bluetooth 1.3 :( I also use IR a lot so that
    definitely rules out 2k3.

    Ah well, nevermind.............

    D.

    Dany P. Wu, Dec 2, 2004
  13. IR is supported on Windows Server 2003 standard, but no other versions.
    I would expect your XP device drivers to work

    Nathan Mercer, Dec 2, 2004
  14. Dany P. Wu

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    There was no device drivers for the IR - I think it was just the generic
    driver provided by XP. I probably won't bother switching to 2k3 at this
    moment but it would be interesting to know if I can somehow get that driver
    on to a 2k3 installation?

    D.

    Dany P. Wu, Dec 2, 2004