Win NT Driver for USB Slash Disk?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I don't suppose anyone happens to know where I can obtain a driver for
    Windows NT for a Flash Disk?

    So far I think these tiny disks are excellent, however they are not
    PnP in my opinion and not compatible with all main operating systems
    which I've unfortunately found out afterwards.

    I also wish I could just plug it in and transfer to it straight away,
    but I need to sign in with a password before the drive shows up and I
    can use it.

    Anyway if you know where I can obtain a driver that would work for
    Windows NT I'd be grateful. I used the software with it on one
    machine for Windows 98 which isn't PnP for this device and it worked
    okay, but when I tried installing the same software for Win NT it said
    that the OS wasn't supported. :(

    Anyhow cheers for any help & directions.

    John

    John, Dec 3, 2003

  2. John

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    The devices are /completely/ plug and play. I plug one into my machine, my
    machine sees it and I copy files. The problem you are having is you are
    trying to use USB on an OS that doesn't support plug and play (or USB).
    See here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
    scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q196/6/61.ASP&NoWe
    bContent=1
    (may wrap, copy paste as needed)
    Windows NT 4.0 does not, has not and will not ever support USB

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 3, 2003

  3. John

    John Guest

    Cheers man. I guess I'll just have to wait till they upgrade it to XP
    :(

    John

    John, Dec 3, 2003
  4. There are a few third party software companies that supply USB port
    activation drivers for NT4. You can find them on the web, but the
    cost is about $40 U.S. Without a 'device manager' common to Win9X, it
    is hard to tell if it installed properly. Unfortunately many new USB
    powered devices only have their software written for Win98 and above.
    I just ran into this NT/USB problem, when buying a new digital camera.
    To get by, we bought a 'card reader' which runs off of the parallel
    port. Even with the USB ports working, the camera software would not
    work with NT or Windows 95 and was not designed to. KK