Win Me wrongly reporting hard disk size and ram ??

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by jole, Oct 15, 2004.

  1. jole

    jole Guest

    hi
    i'm fixing a friends computer..he asked me to reinstall Windows Millenium
    and start from scratch..i was able to do this, although recently he just
    told me that windows is now (after the reinstall) reporting the hard disk
    size to be only 2 Gigs, instead of 20 Gigs, and he's running out of space as
    a result of this.. what must i do to fix this problem, so that win ME
    reports disk space correctly??

    also, even before i reinstalled windows, and now after the reinstall too, i
    noticed that when the pc boots up, on the first black screen, it reports the
    RAM to be only 32 megabytes, even though under windows it reports it to be
    128 MB..how much RAM there really is my friend can't say...

    the main problem though is the hard disk, as my friend is running out of
    space..the 128 MB reported by WIn ME isn't too much of a problem..his pc may
    in fact have 128 MB of ram..

    thank u all

    jole, Oct 15, 2004

  2. jole

    Ken Dennis Guest

    If you only have 2GB, you probably have it formatted as fat16.. if you
    boot from cd you should be able to delete all the partitions and create a
    new one in fat32.. or get a copy copy of fdisk and partition and format
    then boot off diskette, go to cdrom and run setup... as for the ram, are
    you sure that 32mb isnt the video card telling you how much ram it has?

    Cheers,

    Ken Dennis, Oct 15, 2004

  3. jole

    dan Guest

    get him XP. me is the worst ever. better off w/ 95

    dan, Oct 15, 2004
  4. jole

    jole Guest

    hi

    i'll be going over there tonight to try and fix the problem..when i did the
    reinstall, i used the default settings in the setup program of WIn ME..from
    your response below, it sounds as though the file system has been formatted
    as FAT16 (this must have been the default setup setting)...i'll try another
    reinstall, but this time i'll use the advanced version of setup..hopefully
    then I'll be able to select what filesystem is used..

    you're probasbly right..i think that 32 MB ram is the video ram...

    many thanks
    Jole

    jole, Oct 15, 2004
  5. jole

    jole Guest

    hi all

    i haven't yet gone to my friends house, but i just wanted to know, how can i
    tell whether it is fat16 or fat 32 (ie the filesystem)?..i got him on the
    phone to do a right click ->properties-> then he told me that the
    filesystem was reported as only FAT (16 or 32 was not known).

    thx

    jole, Oct 15, 2004
  6. jole

    Wizard Guest

    "Fat" = Fat16
    "fat32" = fat32

    Wizard, Oct 15, 2004
  7. jole

    jole Guest

    thank you for that..my friend's filesystem must be FAT16 then..Hopefully the
    Win ME install program will have an advanced install version that allows me
    to pick fat32 as the filesystem..let me know otherwise..last time i
    installed Win ME, i used the default recommended install version..this seems
    to only install fat16 on it...hopefully will work now, when i true the
    advanced install version..

    thanks again.

    jole, Oct 16, 2004
  8. jole

    Thor Guest

    you can simply create a WinME startup disk, (or download one from
    www.bootdisk.com ) , boot your system to the startup floppy, and run
    "FDISK", making sure to answer "yes" to whether you want to enable "large
    disk support". That choice is the point where it is determined whether you
    will have FAT16 or FAT32. From that point, delete all the partitions, and
    create a new partition using all the available space on the disk. Make the
    partition active, and then shutdown and reboot when instructed to by the
    FDISK program. Boot up to the startup disk again, and this time type "format
    c:" and it will format the drive. Then boot to your Windows setup CD and
    install windows.

    Thor, Oct 16, 2004
  9. jole

    c Guest

    You need to reformat the drive as FAT32. If it is FAT16 now and you just
    reinstall, it will still be FAT16.

    Chris

    c, Oct 16, 2004
  10. jole

    jole Guest

    hi all
    it's strange to me that the Win Me setup hasn't got the capability to
    utilize a fat32 filesystem...oh well, i'll just have to do what you
    suggested (use fdisk from the boot disk).

    thanks

    jole, Oct 18, 2004
  11. jole

    c Guest

    It does have the capability. The problem is that the hard drive was
    formatted as FAT16. Only WinXP and Win 2000 ask if and how you want to
    format the hard drive before installing Windows. The others need to be
    formatted to the proper format before installing Windows.

    Chris

    c, Oct 19, 2004