Win Error 142 in simulation program: Refer.mdb, isinteg.exe

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Frank Richter, May 7, 2008.

  1. Dear News,

    I am using a so-called 'finite-element' simulation program
    to study materials. The name of the program is ABAQUS.

    Occasionally - not always (!) - the computation comes to
    a grinding halt with error 142:

    ABAQUS Error: The executable C:\ABAQUS\6.6-3\exec\standard.exe
    aborted with system error code 142.

    A discussion within an ABAQUS mailing list come up with:

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms681382(VS.85).aspx
    which indicates that error code 142 is associated with a drive problem
    (ERROR_BUSY_DRIVE). Perhaps this will help you debug things.

    The error is not listed in the Windows event viewer. Nonetheless,
    I typed the EventID in the appropriate box on www.eventid.net and got:

    Details Comments and links for event id 142 from source ESE97

    which carries us to:

    Event ID: 142
    Source ESE97
    Type Error
    Description The database disk is full.
    Things to understand When can a disk become full?
    Comments Ionut Marin (Last update 11/30/2003):
    As per Microsoft: "This behavior can occur if there is not enough free space
    on the drive to create the Refer.mdb file". See M258301 to fix this problem.

    The direct link to M258301 is for cash only. But I did find
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258301/en-us
    XADM: How to Run Isinteg -t When Isinteg Fails Because of Lack of Disk Space

    In this context also:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125144(EXCHG.80).aspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;301460&x=15&y=5

    Unfortunately, I'm too dumb to get it. I wouldn't know that I am
    using a program 'Microsoft Exchange'. Also, neither Refer.mdb nor
    isinteg.exe could be located in my number cruncher.

    Is anyone able to throw light on how to quench this error ? It
    would be marvellous if someone could explain to a PC dummy what
    to do. I am using Win XP Professional with Service Pack 2 installed.

    The problem did persist when running a simulation on another, almost
    completely void drive on the same PC.

    Thanks for any advice !

    Frank Richter

    Chair of Materials Science