    this one. Since I'm on a DSL internet connection, my NIC must be
    working. In control panel I have everything the other computer has.
    What am I missing? This network was working the other day.

    Shipping Boxes, Dec 13, 2004

  2. I have never been to Cuba and my wife is Irish.

    Lady Chatterly, Dec 13, 2004

  3. Shipping Boxes

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | I'm having a bad day...
    |
    | Network Neighborhood diappeared from my desktop and now I can't find
    | the other computer on my network. From the other computer I can't find
    | this one. Since I'm on a DSL internet connection, my NIC must be
    | working. In control panel I have everything the other computer has.
    | What am I missing? This network was working the other day.

    Microsoft Network Client has been uninstalled? Go to the Control Panel,
    Network Properties, and check there. If the Microsoft client isn't
    installed, then click on "ADD" - follow the screens, you should be able to
    figure it out. Be sure to check the workgroup name as well.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 13, 2004
  4. No, the MS network client is there.

    I've carefully compared this computer to the other one for settings
    and they all seem to match (obviously different computer names).

    My NIC must be working as well as the router since I'm on the net.
    The working computer is also on the net and the big difference is,
    that computer has Network Neighborhood on the desktop. Also it has the
    non-working computer in network neighborhood but I can't connect.

    Any other ideas, I feel I've tried everything.

    Shipping Boxes, Dec 13, 2004
  5. Shipping Boxes

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <top posting fixed>

    | On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:16:47 -0800, "Toolman Tim"

    | >|
    | >| Network Neighborhood diappeared from my desktop and now I can't find
    | >| the other computer on my network. From the other computer I can't find
    | >| this one. Since I'm on a DSL internet connection, my NIC must be
    | >| working. In control panel I have everything the other computer has.
    | >| What am I missing? This network was working the other day.
    | >
    | >Microsoft Network Client has been uninstalled? Go to the Control Panel,
    | >Network Properties, and check there. If the Microsoft client isn't
    | >installed, then click on "ADD" - follow the screens, you should be able
    | >figure it out. Be sure to check the workgroup name as well.
    | >
    || No, the MS network client is there.
    |
    | I've carefully compared this computer to the other one for settings
    | and they all seem to match (obviously different computer names).
    |
    | My NIC must be working as well as the router since I'm on the net.
    | The working computer is also on the net and the big difference is,
    | that computer has Network Neighborhood on the desktop. Also it has the
    | non-working computer in network neighborhood but I can't connect.
    |
    | Any other ideas, I feel I've tried everything.

    Okay - get the IP addresses and names from each of the machines written down
    (Windows 98, click Start/Run type winipcfg press enter - get the IP address
    for the NIC from there).

    From each computer, ping the IP address for each other computer (start/run
    type command press enter type ping and the IP address press enter i.e.,
    "ping 192.168.1.35")

    The ping test will tell you if your system is able to locate the NIC in each
    computer.

    Also check your hosts file to be sure nothing has messed with it.
    www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html tells you much about hosts files. In
    Win98, you'll find it at c:\windows\hosts

    Toolman Tim, Dec 13, 2004
  6. OK, additional info...
    From the "working computer" I can ping and find the "non-Working
    computer". When I try to ping from the non-working computer, I get a
    White box saying "WINOLDAP has performed an illegal operation and will
    be shut down."

    Neither computer has a directory " C:\Windows\Hosts " Is it hidden?

    BTW, I do appreciate the help. Thank you.

    Shipping Boxes, Dec 13, 2004
  7. Shipping Boxes

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:56:02 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    |
    | ><top posting fixed>
    | >| >
    | >| On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:16:47 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    | >|

    | >| >|

    Panel,

    | >|
    | >| I've carefully compared this computer to the other one for settings
    | >| and they all seem to match (obviously different computer names).
    | >|
    | >| My NIC must be working as well as the router since I'm on the net.
    | >| The working computer is also on the net and the big difference is,
    | >| that computer has Network Neighborhood on the desktop. Also it has the
    | >| non-working computer in network neighborhood but I can't connect.
    | >|
    | >| Any other ideas, I feel I've tried everything.
    | >
    | >Okay - get the IP addresses and names from each of the machines written
    down
    | >(Windows 98, click Start/Run type winipcfg press enter - get the IP
    address
    | >for the NIC from there).
    | >
    | >From each computer, ping the IP address for each other computer
    (start/run
    | >type command press enter type ping and the IP address press enter i.e.,
    | >"ping 192.168.1.35")
    | >
    | >The ping test will tell you if your system is able to locate the NIC in
    each
    | >computer.
    | >
    | >Also check your hosts file to be sure nothing has messed with it.
    | >www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html tells you much about hosts files. In
    | >Win98, you'll find it at c:\windows\hosts
    | >
    | OK, additional info...
    | From the "working computer" I can ping and find the "non-Working
    | computer". When I try to ping from the non-working computer, I get a
    | White box saying "WINOLDAP has performed an illegal operation and will
    | be shut down."
    |
    | Neither computer has a directory " C:\Windows\Hosts " Is it hidden?
    |
    | BTW, I do appreciate the help. Thank you.

    Hosts is a file with no extension - it can be opened with Notepad. There is
    usually only one line in it (after all the description and comments) -
    "127.0.0.1 localhost" (no quotes). At work I have some connectivity issues
    with my Novell server, so I added the server's IP address and name below the
    existing entry - "192.168.1.4 xxxx". But unless you have some
    specifically installed entries, you should only have one. The hosts file
    info at the following website is excellent for blocking online ads:
    www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html

    Okay - so we know TCP/IP is working, we know you have good addressing, we
    know that something is blocking your network client. I'd proceed two ways
    from here:

    1) search Google for information on the error message you received when you
    tried to ping from the non-working computer,

    2) remove the MS networking client from the non-working computer, reboot,
    and reinstall it. In fact, I'd remove *all* the networking information in
    the properties EXCEPT the NIC. Be sure to write all of them down, and any
    special settings, so you can reinstall them.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 13, 2004
  8. I've made some headway...
    I can now connect to my non-working system and exchange files but I
    still can't connect from my non-working system to my working system.

    It's getting late so I give up for now. I'll try again another day.

    Thanks for the help.

    Shipping Boxes, Dec 13, 2004
  9. What do names mean to you?
    He wants to get rapists and murderer to come to my apartment, when
    just a photo of my head was used.
    Why do you feel you have tried everything?

    Lady Chatterly, Dec 13, 2004
  10. For the life of me I could not remember her name.

    Lady Chatterly, Dec 13, 2004
  11. Shipping Boxes

    Plato Guest

    Often when things screw up here at home I forgot to also add Netbuei in
    addition to client for ms networks, of course.

    Plato, Dec 13, 2004
  12. Shipping Boxes

    ImhoTech Guest

    Really? And if it worked afterwards it was because of netbeui, NOT because
    you fixed the problem. Netbeui is not needed on a tcp/ip network.

    ImhoTech, Dec 13, 2004
  13. Shipping Boxes

    Plato Guest

    Yep your right, I dont use tcp/ip network at home.

    Plato, Dec 13, 2004