    LOL! Give up Tony. He is unable to admit that he is incorrect.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 26, 2014

  2. Reg

    Enkidu Guest

    It would probably more accurate to refer to them as "victims" rather
    than "clients".

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 26, 2014

  3. Reg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I see that you're right Cliff - it'd be really hard to *not* see it. That
    exchange is just crazy.

    He's slipped my killfile a few times in the past but I've left him out this
    time as he seemed to have mellowed. However if that bullshit is the sort of
    stuff he's going to post then I'm better off not reading it.
    --
    </Shaun>

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).

    ~misfit~, Mar 27, 2014
  4. Reg

    Reg Guest

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 12:06:27 +1300, wrote:

    Problem fixed.
    Exploring official MS help sites I found a recommendation to download
    8.1 trial and reinstall using that.
    I loaded it onto a usb drive and when I ran that the first thing that
    happened was it triggered a disk check. When that completed my own
    installation of 8.1 restarted and ran ok.

    Reg, Apr 2, 2014
  5. Reg

    Mike Dee Guest

    About WMP on XP he's not correct. I still have Win XP, Pro & Home (just
    did a fresh install on one machine) they all have WMP installed.

    I didn't put it there and I certainly did not DL and install it. I
    don't use WMP, preferring VLC for media playback.

    Mike Dee, Apr 8, 2014
  6. Reg

    Your Name Guest

    At least, a sign that intelligence does exist in this newsgroup. :)

    Your Name, Apr 8, 2014
  7. Reg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ahh, but did you install vanilla Windows XP or did it have one or more
    service packs slipstreamed? In the latter case then WMP *is* included as it
    was part of a service pack (that you'd normally have to download if you
    started with just XP). ;-)

    ~misfit~, Apr 9, 2014
  8. Reg

    Enkidu Guest

    No, it doesn't. Sigh!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 9, 2014
  9. Reg

    Mike Dee Guest

    Maybe incremental updates besides what got included with XP over the span
    of XP's lifetime + included updates also in service packs.

    Perhaps wikipedia recalls it better than me, it claims included with the
    OS. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Player>

    Mike Dee, Apr 9, 2014
  10. Reg

    Your Name Guest

    You'll never convince the dimbulbs of the actual reality. They're too
    busy living in know-nothing geek fantasyland. :-\

    Your Name, Apr 9, 2014
  11. Reg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Wiki is wrong. I have an XP install disc here from back when XP was
    newly-minted (I haven't used it for years!) and it doesn't have WMP
    included. IIRC it doesn't fully(?) support USB2 either.

    ~misfit~, Apr 10, 2014
  12. Reg

    Mike Dee Guest

    It sounds like you got a copy of Windows XP N there, shaun ;-)
    (Not likely I know, as this one surfaced in '06)

    <http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...ong-with-windows-xp-n-and-how-to-put-it-right>
    "What is it? Windows XP N - as in, "n" for "none", which is how much
    media playback functionality this version has. It has no bundled
    copy of Windows Media Player. This was the remedy that the EU
    accepted to open up competition between Microsoft and other
    providers of Windows applications. The Korean Federal Trade
    Commission wants the same, but it wants Windows Messenger removed
    too."

    Still dunno about your copy, all I know WMP installs without me
    asking it to, XP Pro & Home

    Mike Dee, Apr 10, 2014
  13. Reg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hmmm. I could have my old XP discs mixed up and this could be what I was
    using (downloaded after my MS install disc failed).

    Since I got to copy an MS 'all versions' copy (accepts sticker COAs as well
    as bulk licencing serials) including sp2 a few years back I haven't used my
    old discs. All I know is, before I got that I used to have to install sp2 to
    get WMP (I have MS discs of sp2 and sp3).

    So yeah, I could be wrong. I wouldn't be the first time - likely won't be
    the last - despite all care taken..... ;-)

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Apr 10, 2014
  14. Reg

    Gordon Guest

    Brilliant saying/response to someone who thinks you are fault.

    Gordon, Apr 10, 2014
  15. Reg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Heh! <bows> I guess I could have written 'reasonable care' to be more
    accurate. <g>

    ~misfit~, Apr 11, 2014
  16. Reg

    Dave Doe Guest