win 8.1 automatic repair endless loop

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Reg, Mar 23, 2014.

  1. Reg

    Reg Guest

    About two months ago I bought an Asus laptop (F452E) with Windows 8
    installed. I upgraded to 8.1 with no problems. Since then I have
    loaded only two things, ESET NOD32 antivirus and a Virtual Machine
    running Harvard Uni's CS50 Linux Appliance necessary for a computing
    course. Everything has worked ok up until two days ago when I was
    listening to a BBC iPlayer transmission and following a live update of
    a cricket match. The VM was not running but it is possilble it was in
    suspended mode rather than powered off.
    The laptop froze and on trying to restart it never got to the windows
    login screen but after displaying the Asus logo went into a loop with
    the following messages:
    First it says"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We are
    collecting some error info for you and then will restart..."
    Then it gives the message "Preparing automatic repair."
    Finally the screen goes blank for 15 minutes or so before going
    through the cycle again.

    I could take it back to Harvey Norman in the hope they will arrange to
    repair it for me but I would rather sort it out myself in anticipation
    of it happening again.

    I have googled this problem and found it is common but none of the
    advice I have found is directly appropriate to my machine.
    I can get into the BIOS ok but
    I do not have win 8.1 on a disk or thumbdrive to reinstall it.

    One suggestion was to hit F9 on startup and utilise the windows
    options there but all I see when I do this is a win8 graphic and
    request to "please wait" until the screen goes blank.

    I do have an external drive I could utilise to try a reinstall if I
    could get a copy of win8.1

    I would appreciate advice on how to proceed from here.
    How would I get on if I approached Microsoft to ask for a free
    installation disc?

    TIA
    Reg

    Reg, Mar 23, 2014

  2. Reg

    Malcolm Guest

    Hi
    It didn't come with a restore partition or a restore dvd from ASUS?

    Start the system and keep tapping on the F8 key and see if you can
    select the Repair option.

    Else reinstall windows 8 and upgrade again.....

    Malcolm, Mar 24, 2014

  3. No one in his right mind should every get Windows 8 its a complete
    lemon..

    Beta software..

    Frank Williams, Mar 24, 2014
  4. Reg

    Reg Guest

    The Asus warrantee specifically excludes software.

    Reg, Mar 24, 2014
  5. Reg

    Malcolm Guest

    Hi
    On my HP 2000 system it kept popping up saying to make a restore USB
    (32GB required) or DVD's, I just ordered a set of disks was US$16
    including shipping here in the US....

    Malcolm, Mar 24, 2014
  6. Reg

    Your Name Guest

    This is exactly why I detest the new policy from computer makers
    (including Apple and its silly doanload restore) to no longer include
    OS install discs in the packagaing. It should be a legal requirement to
    have a disc or USB drive included so the OS can be reinstalled. :-(

    The likelihood is that the Windows 8 restore is a partition on the hard
    drive, but if the hard drive is dead, then you're screwed.

    I'd take it back to Harvey Norman before the warranty runs out.

    Your Name, Mar 24, 2014
  7. Reg

    Reg Guest

    Thanks Malcolm for you helpful advice.
    F8 did not work on my laptop.
    The restore set- was it for for 8.1 or 8.0?
    Where did you order them from?

    Reg, Mar 24, 2014
  8. Reg

    Your Name Guest

    You don't really know what the problem is though. It could be a faulty
    hard drive that has died. At the very least, it's only two months old,
    so Harvey Norman will have to replace it.

    Your Name, Mar 24, 2014
  9. Reg

    Malcolm Guest

    Hi
    In my case direct to HP support, but was only for 8.0 which the system
    came with, had to install and update to 8.1. It was also nice as all
    the carp-ware was on a separate dvd which could be skipped.

    ASUS are pretty good IMHO, email their support (or check out their web
    page).

    But like others indicate, sure it's not faulty hardware? If you
    have another system to use, grab a rescue cd to boot the system from.

    Since it's a windows 8 system and using I would guess secure boot, I
    would recommend an openSUSE rescue 64bit USB image (since it supports
    secure boot) from http://software.opensuse.org/131/en you can then at
    least check out the hardware?

    Malcolm, Mar 24, 2014
  10. Reg

    Reg Guest

    I got in touch with Microsoft who referred me to Asus :)

    Good advice everyone - thanks.
    I will check out the hard drive over the next day or so and let yuou
    know what happens.

    Reg, Mar 24, 2014
  11. Reg

    Enkidu Guest

    That's what you said about XP.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 25, 2014
  12. Reg

    Your Name Guest

    Even Microsoft knows Windows 8 was rubbish, that's why they running
    around trying to "fix" it back to how it was with 8.1, 8.2, etc.
    updates.

    The problem is that Windows 8 was designed for tablets and doesn't
    really work on a real computer. In fact Microsoft were so blinkered by
    tablets that they didn't even bother to include a DVD player
    application or drivers in Windows 8 and so computer makers had to
    include their own.

    Your Name, Mar 25, 2014
  13. Reg

    Enkidu Guest

    What are you talking about? There have been no special drivers for CD,
    DVD, Bluray for years. There is no DVD player application in Windows 7
    or 8. That part is true. But it is also absent in Vista and XP out of
    the box.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows/dvd-playback-help

    My ancient DVD writer came with Nero backup software and Nero Media
    player. It had no drivers with it. It's typical.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 25, 2014
  14. Reg

    Your Name Guest

    A two second Google search shows you're wrong ...

    How to Play DVDs in Windows 8 - For Dummies
    The Windows 8 Windows Media Player can't play DVDs.
    <http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-play-dvds-in-windows-8.htm
    l>

    How to play DVDs and Blu-ray discs in Windows 8 | PCWorld
    While earlier versions of Windows included a free,
    built-in DVD player, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 have
    no such functionality.
    <http://www.pcworld.com/article/2020963/how-to-play-dvds-and-blu-ray-dis
    cs-in-windows-8.html>

    Your Name, Mar 25, 2014
  15. Reg

    Enkidu Guest

    Dummy. That's what I said : "There is no DVD player application in
    Windows 7 or 8."

    There is also no DVD player application in Vista or XP out of the box.
    Read my link, which is direct from Microsoft.
    This is plain wrong. XP and Vista, out of the box, did not have a DVD
    player program. Most DVD player devices came with a disk with a DVD
    player program as well as a DVD writer program (like my one did, above).
    In systems bought with DVD drives in them, the supplier usually provided
    a DVD player program, but it was not part of the OS.

    Since XP at least there have been no DVD drivers required for DVD drives
    as they (usually) use the IDE interface (either parallel or serial).

    I'd rather believe Microsoft as in the link than some journo who got his
    facts wrong.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 25, 2014
  16. Reg

    Your Name Guest

    Yes there was. Windows Media Player played DVDs under XP (I don;t know
    anyone stupid enough to use Vista to know whether that did or didn't,
    but my guess is that it did since it was at least designed for a
    computer rather than a tablet as Windows 8 has been).

    I'd rather believe the actual facts I've observed in real life:

    - Put a DVD into Windows XP and it plays on the standard
    Windows Media Player.

    - Put a DVD into Windows 8, and there is no standard
    player, you stuck with whatever (usually even worse)
    rubbish the manufacturer has bundled in.

    Your Name, Mar 25, 2014

  17. I think this is all to do with software piracy..??

    Frank Williams, Mar 25, 2014
  18. Reg

    Enkidu Guest

    WMP did not *come with* XP. You had to download it and install it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 26, 2014
  19. Reg

    Your Name Guest

    Whatever you want to delude yourself with. :-\

    Your Name, Mar 26, 2014
  20. Reg

    Your Name Guest

    Amazing then that it was indeed on the computers of various clients I
    help who would not have had any idea how to downlaod and install it.
    :-\

    It's EXTREMELY simple. Computers that shipped with a DVD drive and a
    standard DVD player on them. They no longer do - it's now up to the
    manufacturer to supply it becuase Microsfot in all it's stupidity
    didn't include one with Windows 8 because it was deisnged for tablets.

    End of story ... if you want to dleude yourself with anything else, go
    ahead, I don't have the time to waste bothering with this any longer.

    Your Name, Mar 26, 2014