    Buying a new printer is something that I certainly want to avoid - the
    current one works perfect. Changing OSes is not an option either. Any
    suggestions, please?

    Marcin Balcerzak, Nov 22, 2009

  2. Marcin Balcerzak

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Marcin:
    HP lists Win-7 x64 drivers for the LazerJet 1015 printer at
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...esId=377936&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4063.
    Try installing these drivers because there can be differences between Vista
    & Win-7 drivers. Another option would be to try installing the Vista drivers
    using compatibility mode.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4628 (20091122) __________

    http://www.eset.com

    Dennis Pack, Nov 22, 2009

  3. Hi Dennis,
    Thank you for replying. In that zip there was no executable (just 1 INF, 1
    CAT, many CABs). On the web site, LaserJet 1015 is listed as 'Category 3',
    that is described 'Windows 7 print driver available'. After Windows Update
    it appeared on the list and I installed it using that driver but I cannot
    print even a test page. Troubleshooting says that 'Printer HP LaserJet 1015
    cannot be contacted over the network (Not fixed)'. When I try to install it
    and let Windows choose the driver, it finds none ("Windows can't find a
    driver fo HP LaserJet 1015 PCL 5e on the network. To locate one manually,
    click OK"). The firewall is off. I gave a check also to HP Univesal Print
    Driver, but it couldn't connect to the printer.

    Marcin Balcerzak, Nov 22, 2009
  4. How is the printer physically connected to the network? Is it attached to a
    machine via USB or Parallel port? Or does it have an Ethernet port? If
    Ethernet, then you need to create a port for the printer to attach to.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 23, 2009
  5. Marcin Balcerzak

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    The info file is enough for Windows to install the driver. You can usually
    right click it and select 'install' from the menu. If that doesn't work
    then go through the usual method of adding a driver and select 'Have Disk'
    then browse to the inf file.

    Jeff Gaines, Nov 23, 2009
  6. When using "Install": "The INF you selected does not support this method of
    installation".
    Despite the fact, that I loaded the driver to the system by installing the
    printer locally (with "Have disk") without attaching it physically, when
    installing with "Select a shared printer by name"/"Browse for printer" it
    finds no driver (locally and on the network) and, browsing for it results
    in "Windows cannot locate a suitable driver...".

    Marcin Balcerzak, Nov 23, 2009
  7. It's connected via parallel port (LPT1) to the computer with Windows 2000.

    Marcin Balcerzak, Nov 23, 2009
  8. Marcin Balcerzak

    skeeter Guest

    i hate to just add "me too" but i have the same issue with HP 3050. same OS,
    win 7 64 bit with printer on 1 desktop xp sp3 32 bit. laptop found the 64
    bit driver but the desktop with 7 didn't. i pointed it to the hp universal
    drivers and still no luck.

    skeeter, Nov 23, 2009
  9. The problem here is the combination of crossing both versions and
    "bit-ness". Over time, I've found the best solution is to use platform
    independent print servers that sit directly on the network and allow
    individual workstations to connect to the printer directly. There are models
    from HP (JetDirect), or D-Link, or Linksys or a dozen other vendors, and
    they can include USB or parallel port output (or both), and can have regular
    wired Ethernet or Wireless connectivity. I usually just choose printers that
    have this capability built in, but I also have a simple wireless print
    server from D-Link that I use (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=482).

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 23, 2009
  10. You need to find a driver that uses the same name as the driver installed on
    the machine sharing the printer.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team