    Microsoft says recent Windows 7 security update is faulty, tells everyone to
    uninstall update (before its too late)

    http://dottech.org

    Seagull, Apr 14, 2013

  2. Seagull

    Dave Doe Guest

    I subscribe the MS Update e-mail service - and noted (deleted now) that
    a day, or was it two, after WU's came out, they (MS) re-released an
    update. Wondering if it was a fix for just that? I could dig it up if
    you want.

    Dave Doe, Apr 14, 2013

  3. Seagull

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Wow! So much scrolling to find:
    http://dottech.org/104475/microsoft...yone-to-uninstall-update-before-its-too-late/
    <quote>
    Every second Tuesday of every month Microsoft issues a bunch of patches for
    its products, including Windows. This is known as Patch Tuesday. For this
    this recent Patch Tuesday Microsoft issued a Windows Update for Windows 7,
    security update 2823324, that "addresses a moderate-level vulnerability that
    requires an attacker to have physical computer access to exploit". Now
    Microsoft is telling users to uninstall this security update because it is
    causing "system errors" for some users.

    Microsoft has not specified exactly what "system errors" are being caused by
    this update but they have said it is because of conflict with "certain
    third-party software" and the errors do not cause loss of data. According to
    third-party reports, the update is causing more than errors - some computers
    are unable to boot because of it.

    Although Microsoft says not all users are affected by this issue, they are
    recommending everyone that installed update 2823324 to uninstall it. To
    assist people in removing the update, Microsoft has created a help page
    (link below). Microsoft has also disabled update 2823324 from Windows Update
    until they are able to fix the issue, so if you haven't installed it yet
    then you don't need to worry - you won't be able to install it. (Other
    security updates delivered on Patch Tuesday are unaffected - you should
    install those.)
    </quote>

    You had me worried with the "before it's too late" bit... But I've had no
    problems with my install so I guess I'm fine. <phew!> I'll check anyway,
    thanks.
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Apr 15, 2013
  4. Seagull

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ok, so my gaming machine has KB2823324 installed and, according to MS
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2839011 I should remove it. It's not causing
    me any issues (that I've noticed) but I guess MS wouldn't say to remove it
    if it wasn't potentially 'dangerous'.

    Shit! What a run-around! I'd have to use option 3 on the above page and it's
    a real bitch. I guess that I *should* do it but what a run-around, I haven't
    done anything like that for ages. I thought W7 was supposed to be good. :(

    ~misfit~, Apr 15, 2013