    Boot.ini file" and "using c:\WINNT to start" Something like that?? My
    system is running fine, Should I do anything??

    XP

    Driver-XP, Oct 10, 2003

  2. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In Driver-XP <> typed
    || I have been running win2000 pro for a year now and about a month ago
    || I have been getting an error on boot up (the black screen ) it says
    || "Error, Invalid Boot.ini file" and "using c:\WINNT to start"
    || Something like that?? My system is running fine, Should I do
    || anything??
    || XP

    It might have some invalid contents due to some sort of corruption.

    Have a look in Control Panel / System / Advanced / Startup & Recovery.

    The top option if what's written in the boot.ini file. Use the drop down
    menu to see if there is anything unusual there.

    Try changing some of the values to see if it corrects anything.

    Robert de Brus, Oct 10, 2003

  3. Driver-XP

    Driver-XP Guest

    I went there and what I discovered is my Boot.ini file is missing. I did a
    scan and the file is not on my hard drive.
    What next?
    Thanks for your help!

    Driver-XP, Oct 10, 2003
  4. Driver-XP

    Kenny Guest

    Make sure you're searching in "hidden system files and folders" when looking
    for boot.ini, it should be in the root of C: . You can also access it from
    msconfig.

    Kenny, Oct 10, 2003
  5. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In Driver-XP <> typed
    || I went there and what I discovered is my Boot.ini file is missing. I
    || did a scan and the file is not on my hard drive.
    || What next?
    || Thanks for your help!

    Well, assuming that your Windows *is* installed on the default partition,
    which it seems to be from what you said originally, this should do the
    trick.

    Copy the following into notepad and save to the root of C:\ as boot.ini -
    macke sure you select 'all files' when saving from notepat so it doesn't add
    ..txt to the end of the file.

    [boot loader]
    timeout=3
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
    Professional" /fastdetect

    Once you've saved the file, right click \ properties and give it read only
    and hidden attributes.

    Robert de Brus, Oct 10, 2003
  6. Driver-XP

    jeroen Guest

    Could explain the error. you can create it manually, it's just a plain
    text file.

    assuming your c: drive is your first partition and you run no other OS
    something like this will do:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=5

    jeroen, Oct 10, 2003