    If I take the harddrive from the W98 machine and install it in the XP
    machine as the second drive, Will the XP software read the W98 information.
    Thanks!

    Jill, Aug 21, 2006

  2. Jill schreef:

    XP can read FAT32 drivers. The real issue: will the XP computer BIOS
    recognize the HD..

    only one way to find out ;)

    Timo van Dort, Aug 21, 2006

    -> partitions.. LOL

    Timo van Dort, Aug 21, 2006
  4. Most PCs automatically register the presence of a new drive (set it as
    'slave'} but on some older models you may need to enter the BIOS program and
    run the disc drive setup utility. Windows will automatically assign the
    drive a new drive letter.

    Boscoe Pertwee, Aug 21, 2006
  5. Jill

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    Almost certaintly, it did for *both* W98 drives I took from my old computer
    and I am sure it was much older than yours. All you have to do then is copy
    paste
    the data into a folder on your new drive, or work with it directly from the
    old drive.
    However if it refuses to boot because the harddrive is fooked than thats
    a different matter.

    Bazzer Smith, Aug 22, 2006
  6. Jill

    Plato Guest

    In theory yes if the hard drive is good.

    Plato, Aug 22, 2006
  7. Jill

    Plato Guest

    Computer bios's are dependent on OS's.

    Plato, Aug 22, 2006
  8. alternatively, spend $25 or so and get a USB to IDE
    cable or enclosure. This lets you plug in your old
    drive as an _external_ one on the new machine.

    danny burstein, Aug 28, 2006