    (neighbor's) router is the problem, then the wireless g card will do
    you no good."

    Thanks.

    mutefan, Oct 22, 2007

  2. If your friend's wireless device is G,...then a G in the laptop is faster
    and should still work with a B wireless device if that is what you have at
    home.

    If you friend's wireless device is a B,...then I think you have to use a B
    adapter.

    G is faster than B

    G is backward compatible with the slower B

    I do not think B is "forward" compatible with G so all the G stuff has to
    "talk B" when it communicates with a B device

    Since only one device can "talk" at the same time with wireless,....and
    since it takes longer for B to "talk",...and everyone has to wait for B to
    finish what it is "saying",...B slows down the whole Wireless LAN.

    So make everything G and be done with it.

    Do not by any N equipment until the actual N Standard has been finally
    ratified.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Oct 22, 2007

  3. Scratch that comment. You can keep a G in the Laptop, but it will only run
    at B speed when communicating with a B device.

    Bottom line,... buy the G, leave it in the Laptop. It will work in both B &
    G situations but will run faster when it is doing G-to-G. There is no
    reason to leave a B in anything.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Oct 22, 2007
  4. mutefan

    Barb Bowman Guest

    As long as it is a "G" router. The best performance would be in "G"
    only mode since mixed b/g mode has to "stop and wait" for B traffic.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Oct 22, 2007
  5. Hi
    The fact that you are using 802.11b might indicate that the connection is
    Not secured or it secured on WEP Level.
    If it is so, you are using as your main Internet service a connection that
    can be "sniffed" and your personal information can be easily Deciphered.
    Not a Good Idea.
    Upgrade to 802.115g and discuss with your friend using WPA Security.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 23, 2007
  6. mutefan

    mutefan Guest

    Thanks to all this group for good advice, information, and support.

    mutefan, Oct 23, 2007