    compatability isses (Flash, e.g.) that go hand in hand with Vista
    development? Or are we all expected to shift over eventually? Just wonderin'
    what the consensus is....

    Dennis Gordon, Jun 12, 2006

  2. Dennis Gordon

    Rick Guest

    From everything I have read, Microsoft's
    intention is for Vista, both x86 and x64, to
    replace both Win XP and Win Server 2003. It's
    another Windows replacement just like 95
    replaced 3.11, 98 replaced 95, ME replaced 98,
    NT replaced WFW, and so. Microsoft is pushing
    to make the x64 version more accepted and
    mainstream.

    So, yes. Eventually Win x64 will die, not
    'orphaned.'

    Rick, Jun 12, 2006

  3. Will there be service packs? Certainly, since it's tied to Server 2003 for
    service pack revs. Beyond that? Who knows, the market place makes that
    decision. Personally, I expect to move to Vista and leave XP behind. Not
    that I don't love XP x64 - I do. But it's my job to stay on the front edge,
    and that's what I'll have to do.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 12, 2006
  4. Thanks for the perspectives guys...

    Dennis Gordon, Jun 12, 2006
  5. Dennis Gordon

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    Please post your Vista-related questions in the Vista newsgroups.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jun 12, 2006
  6. I read the post as XP Pro x64 related.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 13, 2006
  7. Cut him some slack, Jud. His question wasn't about Vista, per se, but about
    it's impact on x64 XP. And besides, he's a regular, entitled to ask here. :)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 13, 2006
  8. Oh that's OK. I'll just sit here in the dark, with my sandwich. Don't worry
    about me....;-)

    Dennis Gordon, Jun 13, 2006
  9. Must be a mushroom sandwich (yuk)!

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 13, 2006
  10. Dennis Gordon

    Jane C Guest

    Nothing wrong with mushrooms ;o)

    Jane C, Jun 13, 2006
  11. Obviously someone who hasn't had a really good grilled portobello mushroom
    sandwich. With some nice mozzerella melted on it, a little aoli, maybe a
    thin slice of red onion if you're so inclined, a slice of tomato. Yumm.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 13, 2006
  12. When I was in Paris a few years ago, a good friend who owns a restaurant in
    Oakland gave me a list of his favourite places. (He was born in France, and
    spends every April there.) One of the places was on a tiny little street on
    the left bank. They had an entire tasting menu (7 courses, if I remember
    correctly) that were all mushroom. Amazing. We drank a couple of bottles of
    1990 Charles Heidseick with it - perfect all the way through.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 13, 2006
  13. Dennis Gordon

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    OKOK Charles & Colin, I'll count to 10 and take a deep breath..... :)

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jun 13, 2006
  14. Dennis Gordon

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    Jud Hendrix, Jun 13, 2006
  15. breathe in...breathe out...breathe in...
    :)

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 13, 2006
  16. Dennis Gordon

    Larry Hodges Guest

    The question was on topic. Take a Midol and chill your panties.

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Jun 13, 2006
  17. Dennis Gordon

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    For you I will keep on counting till 12. Any good online pharmacy you
    recommend to order Midol? I just deleted all my spam.....

    Jud Hendrix, Jun 13, 2006
  18. Man, now I've got portobello on the brain. My wife has one stashed in the
    crisper... just waitin' for me... if I had a clue on how to prepare it...

    Dennis Gordon, Jun 13, 2006
  19. From my perspective, I think once 64-bit Vista's out, vendors will have very
    little incentive to go back and start producing drivers for XP 64-bit...more
    reason to put pressure on hardware vendors to produce XP drivers *now*.

    Homer J. Simpson, Jun 13, 2006
  20. Although I'm quite happy with the performance of my XP Pro 64 bit
    I think a "will Product X die when Product Y comes out" question is
    perfectly valid in a Product X newsgroup.

    Homer J. Simpson, Jun 13, 2006