    Metlhd3138 Guest

    Do you think that in 5 yrs, things like smallville season 1 and simpsons season
    2 (just to give 2 examples) will drop in price to $20?

    Metlhd3138, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Metlhd3138

    Bill Binder Guest

    Well it's always hard to say what will happen, but as a precedent,
    X-Files Season 1 was just about the first TV box set out there and it
    hasn't dropped in price one cent yet.

    Bill Binder

    Bill Binder, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Metlhd3138

    Invid Fan Guest

    If they drop the price too much, it would devalue the current sets
    (with people waiting a few years to buy them, knowing the price will
    drop).

    Invid Fan, Nov 25, 2003
  4. Metlhd3138

    Wade365 Guest

    The thing to do if you're looking to save a few dollars is to pre-order... $50
    sets of 'Buffy' often sell for $38 if you're willing to sign up for it on
    amazon.com, say... and they don't charge you until the set ships, so it's not
    like they're getting a free loan on your money until release.

    Just an idea... I've waited for the X-File sets to come down since day-one and
    I'm sure at this point it's never going to budge in price.

    Wade365, Nov 25, 2003
  5. Metlhd3138

    jayembee Guest

    Could be. I'd rather have them now, though, at today's prices,
    rather than wait for five years to get them for $20.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Nov 25, 2003
  6. Metlhd3138

    Invid Fan Guest

    Or don't pre-order, and see what the local stores are selling it for.
    Often Walmart or Best Buy have them cheaper then online for the first
    week. That's what I tend to do nowadays.

    Invid Fan, Nov 25, 2003
  7. It's still $15-20 per disk to produce, and anything they can shave off
    that for lack of extras--
    If it's any hope, though, Fox recently started going back over "What
    went wrong with 'Mary Tyler Moore: Season 1'?", and started blaming the
    high box price, vs. the strong sales for the popular-priced M*A*S*H sets.

    (Of course, WE know it's because nobody wanted the first season and just
    wanted to jump to the later ones--and one or two execs even agreed--but,
    just so long as they're on the right path in general...) :)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Nov 25, 2003
  8. Metlhd3138

    Ray Guest

    If it's any hope, though, Fox recently started going back over "What
    Speaking of MASH, Amazon is selling the first four seasons as a bundle pack
    for only $89.99. That's like getting one season for free.

    Ray, Nov 25, 2003
  9. While there's no reason to suppose the US are going to follow,at least
    in the immediate future, the UK seems to be getting re-packaged
    versions (released on 26 December) of the first six series of the
    X-files with a much lower RRP (£34.99 as opposed to £89.99)

    e.g.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000WST88
    (£26.24 - RRP £34.99)
    as opposed to
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004Y3O2
    (£44.49 - RRP £89.99)

    Willie

    Please remove underwear to reply

    PhantomWombat, Nov 26, 2003
  10. And can't think of more than one or two boxsets I've ever *NOT* bought
    from DeepDiscountDVD--
    It's always been one of their trademark specialties.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Nov 26, 2003
  11. Metlhd3138

    Black Locust Guest

    If you go to Best Buy during it's first week of release, you can also
    get them for that price.

    Black Locust, Nov 26, 2003
  12. Metlhd3138

    Wade365 Guest

    << If you go to Best Buy during it's first week of release, you can also
    get them for that price. >>

    Not $38, you won't... while it's true that BB does sell stuff cheaper than most
    for the first week of release, they don't come down THAT much... a $50 set at
    BB will still run you at least $45 (case-in-point: "Two Towers" Extended
    Edition... $24 week of release, marked back up to $30 now)... the BB price drop
    is usually a $1-$5... especially now that Circuit City and the like are
    watching them like hawks and keeping prices down under BB.

    Hell, Ball-Buster Video is even getting in on the act with new releases... my
    local store is advertising "Cradle of Life" for only $12.99 which is about $5
    less than BB too.

    If you want to save money on sets, best to get them away from Brick'n'Mortar
    stores.

    Wade365, Nov 26, 2003
  13. Metlhd3138

    Hawk-Thorn Guest

    No. Not a chance.

    Hawk-Thorn, Nov 27, 2003
  14. Metlhd3138

    Cernovog Guest

    I agree. Don't let the name fool you. In my experience, "Best Buy" is a
    misnomer.

    Cernovog, Nov 27, 2003
  15. Metlhd3138

    Cernovog Guest

    You know, you're getting these shows for about $1 to $2.50 per episode.
    Remember when you could by individual TV episodes on VHS tape? They sold you
    one episode per tape for $20 to $30 a pop.

    For the price of one or two VHS episodes, you're getting the entire
    season, with a crystal clear picture, tons of extras (in the case of the
    Simpsons, commentary on EVERY SINGLE EPISODE), and you want to wait five
    years for the price to drop?

    I guess you could try buying them used if you're that stingy.

    Cernovog, Nov 27, 2003
  16. Metlhd3138

    Black Locust Guest

    Really? When I bought season 3 of Buffy there, it ran me about $39.
    Maybe it's changed since then, but I've always gotten good deals on my
    tv box sets at Best Buy. I did also buy Buffy season 4 there, but I was
    slow to jump the gun and ended up buying it after the first week so I
    don't know what kind of discount they had for that season.
    Well, there's some strings attached. It's a trade-in program. If you
    don't have an old DVD to trade-in, then they still charge the absurdly
    high price of $21.99. But it is a great deal if you have old DVD's lying
    around that you no longer want as $12.99 is the cheapest you can get a
    new DVD(like twat raider 2: the crapple of life) for.

    Black Locust, Nov 27, 2003
  17. Metlhd3138

    Rob Guest

    In that case, I'll wait a week and spend the extra $1-$5 ...

    Rob, Nov 27, 2003
  18. From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU Cernovog
    Its not so much ones that go for even $50 that bother me, its ones that
    are in the $100s for one season that bother me (X-Files anyone). Heck,
    I payed a combined total of around $70 for both "Family Guy" boxsets,
    and the average for $35 for each "Buffy." Henseforth, I can wait a bit
    for those "X-Files" boxsets to finally come down (if its true seasons 1-6
    in the UK are going down soon then they'll probably do the same here
    to advoid people importing them).

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Nov 27, 2003
  19. Metlhd3138

    Cernovog Guest

    You're still only paying about $4 per episode, but I understand. $100 is
    a lot of money, especially when you consider you're probably going to be
    getting seven seasons (or in the case of X-Files, many more).

    We're talking about a grand. You get a lot of value, but that's a big
    chunk of change.

    I managed to find excellent deals on Star Trek and ended up paying about
    $70 to $85 for each box set. That's a substantial savings. It was still a lot
    of money all together, but it was worth it to me.

    You can either hunt and scrounge for deals, or wait for the prices to go
    down, which is the equivelent of simply not buying it. I'm happy to throw my
    support behind that decision. It's laudible considering how many people
    resort to theft and piracy.

    I think the Andromeda DVDs are outrageously priced (especially
    considering the story craps out around the end of season 2). You don't see me
    stealing it. I just go with the competition and throw my financial support
    behind more reasonably priced Sci-Fi like Babylon 5 and Stargate.

    Cernovog, Nov 27, 2003
  20. Metlhd3138

    ZC TGS Guest

    Well you pay alot less in the US for the X-Files box sets. In the UK
    they retail for £90 per box set which is approximately $160. The Buffy
    box sets again cost pretty much double in the UK as well.

    ZC TGS, Nov 27, 2003